Columnella Stitch Remain in my Nose. Is That Okay If The Dr. Could Not Find The Beginning Of It?

hello I have done an open rhinoplasty...stitches were not disolvable.Surgery was done in my country and since my vacation was to short I was advised that stitches can be safely removed by another doctor. Doctor I have found removed all the stitches exept for the columnella strich, because he could not find the beginning of it. He shorten the end of it and said it is fine like that.. Is this a correct precedure thank you in advance

+1

This does occasionally happen, and the non-absorbable suture which you are left with may extrude sometime in the future.  If so, it is simple for someone to remove it for you.

Jonathan Ross Berman, M.D. , F.A.C.S.

Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon

Stitches in nose

+1

If the suture is absorbable, then it will dissolve. If it is a permanent suture, then it will stay and may cause a local reaction or get infected.

Suture after surgery

+1

I Agree with previous post. The only other thing I would add is that the suture may give you the symptoms of a recurrent pimple where the suture is located. If this becomes an issue in the future, the suture will have to be removed. This should be a simple office procedure.

Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Columellar stitch

+1

There are two types of stitches(sutures), absorbable and non-absorbable.  Either can safely be left in a wound or incision.  If the stitch in your nose is not visible, then it is safe to leave it alone as it will cause no problem.  If it is visible, then it should be removed as it may detract from the appearance of the nose.

Toledo Plastic Surgeon

Columellar Stitch not Removed

+1

Do not worry about the stitch which is present under the columellar skin. It can be removed if it comes to the surface in the future or will remain there undetected for the rest of your life. Many times permanent stitches are intentionally left under the skin or lining of the nose.