Can Columellar Struts Be Removed? (photo)

I had rhinoplasty just to narrow my bridge from a frontal view. I was happy with my strong profile and wanted to avoid any upward tip rotation. I was most afraid of losing length as I already had a large space between my nose and lip. My surgeon told me that some "tip projection" is necessary for narrowing, and seemed to understand my concern. I'm 3mo PO and my nose is still too short and upturned. The 'weighty' part of my tip is merely higher on my face. Can these struts be removed?

Columella strut issue

+1

A columella strut is sometimes used to add tip support. The nose may stay very swollen in general after a rhinoplasty for up to a year.

Can Columellar Struts Be Removed?

+1

Swelling can persist for up to a year or more, and I would not do anything at this point.  The tip tends to fall over time as swelling resolves.   The struts can be removed easily enough.   Swelling will depend upon the nature of maneuvers employed, operative time, presence of grafts or implants, thickness of skin, open vs closed etc.

Columellar strut

+1

You could remove the columella strut but I believe you should wait one year to allow tissues to be completely healed first.  Things will change more than you think in that time.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

Rhinoplasty concern

+1

I do not think you should ask for the strut to be removed, though it is possible.  Your after photos look good to me and tip support is very important for both nasal appearance and function.  Give it more time as your results will change over the course of the next year.  And always discuss your concerns with your surgeon.

Carey Nease, MD
Chattanooga Facial Plastic Surgeon

Removal of Columellar Struts

+1

Columellar struts can be removed, but in your case they might not be the cause of the appearance you don't like.  For example, this may be secondary to suture fixation. Wait another 6 months to see if your tip  changes as healing progresses. Talk to your surgeon but if you're not satisfied get a copy of the operative report and have another surgeon examine your nose.