Is It Possible That Columellar Strut Can Be Stretched After Rhinoplasty from Laughing?

I'm one month post op and yesterday I was smiling really wide to where i could feel my skin stretching. After I looked in the mirror I noticed the skin stretched where the columellar strut is. It got really red and I could see where my doctor cut it open which i could not see before. I've been careful all this time but I feel like I stretched my skin it was an open rhinoplasty. Will the skin tighten back up? Did I do any damage? Or it the skin supposed to be doing that.. I'm very worried

Promoted Local Answer Promoted local answers are based on Featured Doctor activity within your current location.

Stretched Columella

+1

Thank you for your question.  While it is possible to feel your columella stretching one month after surgery, it is quite unlikely that you stretched the skin permanently in a significant way.  At one month the incision has about 60% of its original strength.  The skin is also elastic.  I would discuss this matter with your surgeon at your next visit, but try not to worry.  Best wishes on your recovery.

Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Laughing will not affect the outcome of a rhinoplasty.

+1

A columella strut will not be stretched nor will any other part of the nose be altered by laughing.

Web reference: http://www.zubowicz.com/subpag,25-atlanta-rhinoplasty.htm

Columella strut and skin

+1

The columella strut is cartilage and this would nto stretch it is a rigid structure. Some stretching of the skin can happen but this is normal and as the tissues soften the area will relax.  If concerned see your surgeon.

+1

Some stretching may have occurred at the level of the incision, but an exam would be necessary to sort this out.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Web reference: http://www.hughesplasticsurgery.com/Rhinoplasty.php

+1

Dear Mila,

thank you for your question, but without photos, it is difficult to give you specific advise.  Certainly stretching the skin over an incision is not the best, and can widen a scar, however, probably no by much at 4 weeks. Keep and eye on it and try to keep the skin relaxed over the incision.  Most likely with time, the scar will not be noticable.

Best Wishes,

Pablo Prichard, MD

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon