Columella Uneven After Open Rhinoplasty?

I had a rhinoplasty a couple of years ago. While the scar healed rather well (only a very faint line visible), it has 1) become a bit hard (hard tissue, like a bump below the skin), and 2) there's now a slight crease, i.e. the incision line is depressed, very slightly (half a mm or even less), but still enough to create a shade given certain lighting conditions which makes it very obvious that I had something done. How can these issues be fixed? Thank you

Columella Scar after Open Rhinoplasty

+1

It is very rare for a patient to have problems with the columellar scar after open rhinoplasty. However, the depression you describe can be fixed with a minor procedure under local anesthesia. 

Columella scars can be improved

+1

If the area is very minimal it may be left.  However, if the problem is significant a revision procedure is indicated.  Generally columellar scars heal well.

Robert Mounsey, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Columella Incision Scar Is Uneven

+1

I would recommend you undergo a minor revision procedure under local anesthesia to improve the appearance of the scar. This can be done with little downtime.

John M. Hilinski, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Columella depression

+1

A small revision procedure will address your concern about the uneven contour. Good luck!

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Depression at Columella

+1

A depression in the columella can be fixed with a small filler injection or a scar revision under local anesthesia.

Columella Irregularities After Rhinoplasty

+1

The depressed scar on your columella can be revised.  Although it is difficult to assess without a picture, it appears that the scar is depressed with some thick subcutaneous scar tissue below.  There are two ways the appearance of the scar can be fixed depending on its severity.

For minor scar depression, an artificial filler such as restylane can be used to fill in the depression.  This would be the most easy in office solution.

For major scar depression, formal scar revision involving a minor surgical procedure may be necessary.

I suggest you follow up with a board certified rhinoplasty surgeon for evaluation.

Anthony Corrado, DO
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon