Columella Strut Strength?

I had a rhinoplasty 1.5 years ago using a columella strut for tip projection with septum cartilage. Since the strut is so rigid, it feels like if I bump my tip head on kissing or washing my face, there is a chance the strut could dislodge either sideways or backwards into my nose cavity. My doctor said the sutures would dissolve but the strut would stay in place because it is now adhered to the nasal tip cartilage. How strong/stable is the strut? Is it dangerous to accidentally bump it?

Columellar Strut Strength at 1.5 Years after Rhinoplasty

+1

In general, after a 1.5 years, the columellar strut should be encased in scar and should be durable.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Columellar strut strength?

+1

A light bump associated with kissing or washing the face should not be a problem 1.5 years after surgery. At this point, the columellar strut is quite strong, and a situation as you described should not influence your result. I would recommend discussing any concerns with your surgeon, as they know the extent of your procedure and exactly what was performed. I hope this helps, and I wish you the bets of luck.

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Columella Strut Strength?

+1

A year and a half out that strut should be as solid as it can get. If it was placed properly you should not have any issues with it moving doing the things you describe.

Richard J. Brown, MD

Columella strut

+1

A columella strut is pretty durable especially a year and a half after your rhinoplasty.    It should be ok.

Nasal Strut

+1

After 1.5 yrs the strut should pretty be much in place. It would be hard for it to move unless you get injured with high impact, such as as a car collision. 

I think your surgeon is right on target.

Michel Siegel, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon