Will a Columella Strut Prolong Tip Swelling?

I had an open rhinoplasty three weeks ago, and now my tip even fuller and rounder than before (projected looking), especially in my columella. Also, my nose appears to be shorter in length and the tip rotated up a bit. My doctor said, he only used sutures in the very tip of my nose to define it, a graft for added support, and didn't change the angle or rotation any. Is this swelling, or is it due to the graft? Also, I'm a 29 yr old female with somewhat thick skin.

6 to 12 months

+1

Don't over analyze your nose at this early stage after rhinoplasty. Three weeks after the surgery are very early period and there is significant swelling at this time. Specifically if you had an open rhinoplasty and your nasal bones were fractured the swelling lasts longer. At six weeks you will start noticing a significant reduction in swelling. It takes a full 6 to 12 months until the final results of the procedure are noticeable. During this phase your tip may seem as if it is over-rotated, under-rotated, over or under-projected and so on. The results of your tip definition may be less noticeable if you have thick skin.

Good luck to you!

Web reference: http://www.talroudnerplasticsurgery.com/rhinoplasty.php

Coral Gables Plastic Surgeon

Tip swelling in Rhinoplasty

+1
It is to early to determine any results and you must wait at least six months to start the process. With an open Rhinoplasty and thick skin as you have described this is not uncommon. It can take up to twelve months for all of the swelling to leave the area and this takes patience. Time is on your side on this one. As each day and week passes you should see improvement, be patient during this recovery phase. Discuss your concerns with your surgeon and he/she should be able to provide some comfort to you regarding the process. Best regards!

Tip Swelling after Rhinoplasty

+1

Normal swelling 3 weeks after surgery can make the tip look full and rotated, especially in a patient with thick skin. Wait 9-12 months to evaluate your result.

Nasal Tip Swelling After Rhinoplasty

+1

Any work on the tip will produce swelling.  Tip seems to be the last part of the nose that the swelling resolves. Give it time.

Dr. ES

Nasal Tip Swelling after Rhinoplasty

+1

Nasal Tip swelling may be more pronounced after open rhinoplasty.  In general, the nasal tip skin is thicker then the skin over the dorsum of the nose and tends to take longer for the swelling to resolve.  Three weeks after surgery is much too soon to make any final judgments regarding final outcome which should be deferred 4 to 6 mo. after surgery in most cases.

Collumelar Strut and Tip Swelling

+1

Hi,

Your tip swelling is most probably due to the fact that your only 3 weeks post-op. The collumelar strut should not add to this tip swelling. The swelling is primarily due to the surgery. Allow 3 to 6 months for this swelling to resolve. You should see decreased swelling as the weeks go by.

Dr.S.

Web reference: http://www.rhinoplastysurgeonnewyork.com

Tip swelling after open rhinoplasty

+1

It is absolutely too early to assess the amount of swelling. Open rhinoplasty tends to give more initial swelling in the tip/columella area since there is tissue manipulation in areas that wouldn't be touched with closed technique. Also, due to the swelling, the tip will seem more rotated than you want, but this should resolve. Remember that the human eye is extremely critical of even a millimeter of difference in structures around the middle of the face, so it will be hard to be patient. Things should settle down over the next several months, but the usual rule of thumb is 9-12 months. As hard as it may be, you need to be patient!

Columellar strut and tip swelling.

+1

It is too swollen now to make type of judgement about your nose, It takes 6-12 months to see the results. Be patient in the meantime.