Would I Benefit From Columella and Alar Base Reduction?

I am Afr American and my nostrils are uneven my right nostril is bigger from worms eye point of view but my left nostril is wider from the front profile. Would I benefit from alar base reduction? My columella is also a concern I dont like how it looks would shortening it be possible to produce a more natural looking nose? I am happy with the tip I appreciate any feedback thanks.

Would I benefit from columella and alar base reduction?

+1

Alar base reduction can help restore symmetry to the nostrils. It is also possible to improve the appearance of the columella. There are a number of reasons that can contribute to the appearance of the columella, and technique used would depend on your individual circumstances. A great start would be to post some photos, and seek an in-person consult with a board certified rhinoplasty specialist who has a great deal of experience. I hope this helps and I wish you the best of luck.

Alar Base Reduction

+1

While there is only so much that can be achieved with an alar base reduction alone, you do appear to be a good candidate for restoring
moderate symmetry with just this technique.  However, to address other concerns, such as with your columella, likely a more extensive procedure would be indicated-  this needs to be assessed by meeting with a surgeon experienced in working on African ethnic noses.

Jeffrey Epstein, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

Alar base reduction is a great way to reduce the width of the nostrils and/or make them appear more even and symmetric. If this is what you wish to do, then yes, you will benefit. When choosing a surgeon to perform alar base reduction, they will ideally be:

1) Well-trained in ethnic rhinoplasty
2) Board certified and fellowship trained

Photos would really be necessary to give you advice on your columella. During a consult, you will be able to discuss your needs with your surgeon. It is possible to create a nose that appears natural and is in harmony with your face. Thanks, and good luck!

Jonathan Kulbersh, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Alar Base Reduction

+1

Everybody has some degree of asymmetry in the face.  Depending on the amount of asymmetry, you may benefit from an alar base reduction to help decrease the width of the nose as well as improve the symmetry of your nose from worm's point of view.  Please consult with a board certified specialist who can advise you toward achieving the natural results you seek.

Kimberly Lee, MD

Wide nasal base

+1
African-American rhinoplasty is an specialized procedure requiring certain techniques in order to achieve the desired natural look. Recommend choosing a surgeon who has performed this types of nose successfully. Look at the before and after pictures.

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO
Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Position of Columella and Alar Base

+1

Although there are ethnic characteristics for every group of people I don't feel comfortable making recommendations just because you're African-American. However, it is possible to narrow and change the contour and asymmetry of the alar base. The columella can be lifted when appropriate.

African american nasal base issues

+1

I think that the best thing for you to do is go for a consultation to get properly evaluated. Remember all nostrils are asymmetric and it might not be possible to achieve the symmetry you desire.

Alar base reduction, nice maneuver in Rhinoplasty

+1

An alar base reduction performed properly will significantly improve the shape of your nose.  As for the columella, unless your nose is too prominent, I would not try to shorten it, especially if you are happy with the tip.

Tae Ho Kim, MD

Asymmetrical alar-plasty

+1

When the nostrils are asymmetrical, a differential amount of skin can be removed in an attempt to make the nostrils symmetrical. It is very difficult, if not impossible to make the nostrils perfectly symmetrical in all 3 dimensions when significant pre-existing asymmetry exists.