My surgeon said that 3 out of 10 patients will have their butt implants open up. Is that true and how bad?

Buttock implant wound opening rate

+1
Your surgeon is quoting miscellaneous figures that may or may not apply to the general population of surgeons that have in the past performed or tried to perform this procedure.  However, when this procedure is done by a board certified plastic surgeon that specializes in this procedure (and there are relatively very few), and makes adjustments in his/her technique to minimize complications and maximize good results, the rate of wound opening can (and is in my current practice) < 5%.  Glad to help.  

+1
  I perform both the Brazilian buttlift and buttock implants, and, though I think that the complication rate for buttock implants is higher, I think that the rate is more like 1 out of 10 or less.'

Find a board certified plastic surgeon who performs hundreds of buttock augmentation procedures each year. Look for great reviews and great before and after pictures.

Buttock augmentation with implants

+1
I think that buttock augmentation with implants certainly has a higher complication rate then fat injection but they are pretty safe and reliable.

Wound Separation in Buttock Implants

+1
It is not rare to have the intergluteal incision in buttock implants to have some minor wound dehiscence or separation weeks after the procedure. It is not a major issue and one that is left to heal in on its own. It occurs because that incision is placed in an area that is exposed to a lot of shearing stresses from sliding across the buttocks in sitting and laying. It can occur no matter how well closed the incision is closed. I have seen it numerous times but it has never caused any infectious problems with the implants.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Buttock Implants

+1
Using the proper incision and proper placement, buttock implants can be a satisfying procedure to both patient and doctor.
 I do not believe that the "Implant will open" or the incision will open. The risks of infection and incision problems is the same as with any surgery. Placement of the incision is very important to decrease the risk of wound dehescence 
Samir Shureih MD. FACS
sshureih@msn.com