Should I lose the weight or keep it on for my tummy tuck? (photo)

I have recently quit smoking and have put on 5-10 pounds. On my small frame it gives me a nice belly that conceals my stretch marks and sagging skin. Should I keep the weight on, or get it off before the surgery?

Weight loss before tummy tuck

+1
Well done for stopping smoking!
Your weight gain is minimal from the point of view of surgery.
You can have your tummy tuck. 
After surgery, you can lose the weight.

Ideal Weight for TT?

+1
It is usually recommended for patients to get close to their goal/ideal body weight before a TT.  This is not something that is set in stone and varies for each patient.  From your photos you look like you are in fairly good physical health.  It also helps you stopped smoking!! You will likely do well at your current weight, but if you are more comfortable with losing the weight then you can do that as well.  

Good Luck

Gaurav Bharti

Gaurav Bharti, MD
Johnson City Plastic Surgeon

Modest weight changes don't affect the outcome of abdominoplasty.

+1
I don't think any weight gain or weight loss in your particular case will have much effect on the outcome of the abdominoplasty. Most patients after abdominoplasty lose a few pounds anyway.

Weight loss before tummy tuck

+1
It is always best to be at your preferred weight before surgery in terms of skin tightening and achieving an optimal result. Congratulations on stopping smoking!

Robert L. Kraft, MD

No smoking and near normal weight are most important for a tummy tuck

+1
Thank you for your question and photographs. The most important thing that you did was quit smoking. Congratulations! The small amount of weight that you gained is not a problem from the standpoint of having a tummy tuck since you are not over weight in the first place.  If you want to lose it first and have the time, that's OK. Otherwise don't worry about it.
Good luck. Be sure to see a board certified plastic surgeon.

James McMahan, M.D.  Columbus plastic surgeon

James McMahan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Lose as much weight as possible before a tummy tuck

+1
Thank you for your question. Congratulations on stopping smoking.It is best to be as close to your ideal weight before a tummy tuck.  Fat beneath the skin prevents adequate tightening of the skin during tummy tuck and if you lose weight after the tummy tuck loose skin will return.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Should I lose the weight or keep it on for my tummy tuck?

+1
Always best to be at your ideal weight prior to any surgery. Have you discussed this issue with your surgeon, yet??? 

Should I lose weight before a tummy tuck?

+1
You are always better at your ideal body weight, however 5 or 10 lbs for the belly will not make a substantial difference. Your flanks will likely show the weight changes more substantially. 

Brian Dorner, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

+1
Good for you that you have stopped smoking; it will be important that you continue to abstain from all nicotine products before and after the tummy tuck operation. Generally speaking, best to achieve your long-term stable weight prior to proceeding with abdominal wall contouring surgery, avoiding significant weight fluctuations afterwards. Best wishes.

Your weight

+1
What I tell my patients is that they should have surgery when they are at a stable, comfortable weight for them. If you think the 10 lbs will come off then I would wait until it does to proceed. In the end though, you need to pose this question to your surgeon and get their advice.

Lee E. Corbett, MD