Weight Gain After a Tummy Tuck?

I was just wondering if gaining weight after a tummy tuck will cause the muscle to separate again? I've gained about 40 pounds in 4 years from some medication that I was taking for blood pressure. I've begun to lose weight and even though I am losing some weight my tummy still looks like a big round balloon. It is almost perfectly round. I'm wondering how I can deflate it and if i've probably tore or stretched out them muscles again and if so will I need another tummy tuck to fix it?

Tummy Tuck and Weight Gain

+1

First of all, congratulations on starting to lose the excess weight!  Each person’s body reacts differently to weight gain. Your muscles may have spread some, but typically they will "bounce back" as you lose the weight and get fit. You will only know if surgery will be needed after you reach your goal weight.  For now, congratulations on your progress and keep up the good work!  Good luck!

Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Weight Gain Can Stretch the Muscle Repair

+1

With weight gain as significant as you describe, it is altogether possible that the muscle layer has been stretched again.

The abdomen has a layer of fat between the skin and muscle layer: increased fat in this compartment would not stretch the muscle layer.

The tummy also contains fat inside the abdominal cavity, around the internal organs. Excess fat here can stretch the abdominal wall or muscle layer.  If laxity remains after weight loss ("deflation"), the tummy could remain round, protuberant, lax.

In that situation, a  repair to tighten the muscle layer can be quite beneficial.

When you are within 10 pounds of your weight goal or stable weight, consult with your plastic surgeon who can advise you if a muscle repair will be of benefit.

Web reference: http://www.drzwiebel.com

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Significant weight gain after abdominoplasty might re-create some abdominal wall laxity.

+1

If fat is stored in the peritoneal cavity, a significant weight gain could generate enough pressure on the abdominal wall to stretch out some of the repair. After substantial weight loss some laxity might be evident.

Web reference: http://www.zubowicz.com/subpag,21-atlanta-abdominoplast.htm

Weight Gain After Tummy Tuck

+1

Your surgeon will need to examine you to determine if you need additional surgery after the weight loss.   Best of luck with the weight loss.

Weight Gain After a Tummy Tuck

+1

There is no clinical way to know until you lose your weight and see what happens. Your surgeon can examine you at that time, and answer your question. Good luck with the weight loss. 

All the best. 

Weight gain after tummy tuck

+1

The abdomen will always stretch out some with a large weight gain. Some of this fat is in the area just under the skin but much of that fat is often surrounding the intestines or what we call visceral fat. The only good way to get rid of this is to lose the weight. It is possible that some of the muscle may have separated but the best thing to do is just to lose the weight  and you will definitely look better. If the muscle has separated it can be repaired again but it is not likely that you will need that. Good luck with keeping the weight off.