Does the Right Side Look Like a Problem? (photo)

I am 8 weeks PO from BA/BL. The right side has always been slower, but now it feels wrong compared to the left, like the implant is further to the side and it looks more square from the side than it did previously. I'm not suppose to go back until May 20, but not sure if I should wait. DOes it look off or is this just normal progression?

Asymmetry is Common; Worth Reevaluation

+2

The asymmetry you describe is apparent in the photos, but the cause or whether this will require revision is not easily determined from the photos alone. An examination (with some measurements) by your Plastic Surgeon is best and I'd encourage you to go in for an evaluation.

Don't be surprised if your surgeon advises waiting until you are 6 months post-op before deciding if a revision is needed. The breasts don't heal at the same pace, and it is oten wisest to allow adequate time to see how both breasts finally heal.

Importantly, the pictures don't seem to show a situation that requires any urgent intervention; most likely, time is on your side.

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetry after Breast Augmentation/Lifting Surgery?

+2

Thank you for the question and pictures.

The breast asymmetry that you are referring to is clear in the pictures.  Exactly what is causing the breast asymmetry will be best determined during physical examination. At this point, considering revisionary breast surgery would be premature but given your concern, I am sure your plastic surgeon would be happy to see you earlier than already scheduled. On the other hand, I do not see any urgency for this evaluation occur in the near future.

Breast Augmentation and Lift Revision

+2

In general, you should probably wait 6 months or so before contemplating a revision after breast augmentation and breast lift.   Implants changing within the pocket and skin envelope relaxation make for some variability in outcome.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Does the Right Side Look Like a Problem?

+2

The right nipple and areola look a bit lower that the left ones. That is most of the difference that I am seeing in these photos. I wound not advise thinking about touch up surgery for some time, but when a patient is dissatisfied or has questions, it  is best to begin diagnosing and planning sooner rather than later. I would anticipate the possibility of a revision of the right breast lift. 

All the best. 

Frustrating asymmetry following surgery...likely will diminish with time

+1

Thanks for your picture and question. I know this is so frustrating for you and your surgeon. Despite measuring and making sure that our marks are exactly where we want them, sometimes one sides heals differently. The asymmetry you referred to is evident. The cause is not always known. In some cases the postoperative asymmetry is secondary to a preoperative asymmetry. We often times try to "over correct" things, but even then it may not be possible to get it perfect. If you are right handed and your pectoralis muscle is larger, then this too can delay your implant dropping. Be patient and convey your concerns to your surgeon. Hopefully it will begin to settle. Best of luck!

M. Scott Haydon, MD

+1

Yes you are visually asymmetric and unfortunately this will not improve over time. I believe you need to consider a revision. So very sorry 

Asymemtry of breasts

+1

It is always helpful to look at breasts both before and after surgery.  They are never exactly the same.

Does It Look Off Or Is This Normal

+1

One can certainly see the asymmetry of the right breast from the photos provided. However at this point in it is still very early on in your recovery to entertain any thoughts of revision. I would suggest that you wait for no less than a period of 6 months post-op.

Having said that, I would recommend that you discuss your concerns with your surgeon. This allows you and your surgeon the chance to discuss options available and may help allay any anxieties you may be experiencing.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

Pedro M. Soler, Jr., MD