Is the New Mentor Sizing System a Good Guide?

Of course I'm having trouble finding the right implant size. I've tried both the regular sizers and also the newer ones. The newer ones helped me get a better idea since the are shaped like a breast. I would like to know if they are a good portrayal of what the results will be? I'm 5"2, 110# and thinking of 400cc. My bwd is 13.5. I currently wear a 34d and just hoping to fill it out.

Volume and Sizing for Breast Augmentation

+1

Placing the sizers into the bra can be helpful, but the plastic surgeon is a great resource in determining what will fit your chest wall width and breast imprint. 

Volume sizing system.

+1

Hello, Thanks for your question. I do find that the volume sizing system is the most accurate way to estimate breast cup. Remember, it is just an estimate there's no foolproof way. Best wishes - Dr. Aldo.

Aldo Guerra, MD

Mentor Sizing System

+1

I have found using trial implants and a sports bra to be most useful in helping to choose an implant size.  The implants look bigger sitting on top of the breast than the same size placed surgically, usually by about 10%. If 400 cc is a good size for you, the moderate plus profile will be closest to your breast width, and therefore a good choice.

Thanks, and best wishes.

Sizing

+1

None of the sizing systems are accurate. They are only partially representative of the final results. Sizing has a lot more to do with communication with your surgeon about expectations and its translation into results.There is a lot more surgical judgement and decision making and experience that is necessary.

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Choosing implant size

+1

As you can tell from my colleagues answers, we each have our preferred methods for choosing implant size. Since none of us has a crystal ball that can foretell the future, any preoperative decision will basically be a best guess. Whatever can help with that decision, and the Mentor system seems to be one of the better ones, can be useful. But communication with your surgeon about what your goals are and what he or she feels is appropriate for your anatomy, is still most important. Good luck to you.

Margaret Skiles, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

3D Imaging can help you visualize your results before surgery!

+1

Any implant stuffed into a bra can give you an idea of your final size, but it's still a guess, at best.  We use Vectra 3D Imaging in my Atlanta plastic surgery practice.  It uses your own 3D image (taken in our office), then lets us literally "try on" different implant shapes and sizes, "put on" a bra or tank top, spin the image around and see it from all angles....it's like seeing your likely "after" photos before you ever commit to surgery!

Carmen Kavali, MD

Determining sizing using the new Mentors.

+1

We find the new Mentor sizing system to be reliable. At your height and weight, with D breasts already, it sounds large to me. This is a personal decision. I find the Vectra system underestimates the maximum size a patient can use. Show your surgeon "the look you want" with the Mentor system in a tight WHITE top and I feel you'll be on the road. Dark colors conceal size!

David Janssen, MD, FACS
Oshkosh Plastic Surgeon

Determining breast implants size using 3D imaging

+1

There are many excellent ways to  help a woman determine the size of implant she desires.   The use of sizing implants and bras has been used for years and will get you in to the ball park as far as size and shape.  We are utilizing the Vectra 3D imaging system and we have found that our patients are very comfortable with the size and style of implant that they eventually select.  This is a wonderful educational tool and will one day be the standard for patient education when it comes to implant selection.  You no longer have to imagine what you will look like the imaging shows your after result before the procedure with a great deal of accuracy.  

Mentor sizing system

+1

This sizing system is one way to help patients get an idea where they would like to be in terms of their implant selection.  Its NOT perfect.   Communication between the patient and the plastic surgeon is key to achieving a patients goals if they are realistic.

I consider two factors when selecting implants for my patients:
1.Dimensional planning
2.Gel Implant Sizing system
Dimensional planning – The measurements of your chest wall are taken. Also, the breast dimensions including the height, width, and current dimensions of each breast form the basis of dimensional planning. Based on these measurements, the implant size is recommended. This will give you a unique breast implant that is suited for your body frame. However, there are some limitations of what size we can recommend. For instance, some implants may just be too big for a narrow chest wall. Your surgeon can review this with you during the consultation.
Gel Implant Sizing system – During the preliminary breast implant consultation, you will be provided with an option to “try on” a variety of implant shapes and sizes. You can also visualize the possible outcomes of your surgery which helps you to get that perfect size to give you the shape that you longed for. This way your preferences are known and you can then pick a range of implants that will “fit” just right to give a soft natural fuller look.  If you have decided on saline implants, then based on the gel sizer you select, we can guide you to the saline implant that achieves a similar look.
Hope this helps.
Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Best Sizing System for Breast Augmentation?

+1

I have found that the Mentor “sizing system” is helpful as a tool of communication between patients and myself. However, just like other methods available, it is not as accurate as one would hope.

In my opinion, the most accurate sizing is done during surgery with temporary sizers in place ( usually sub muscular or dual plane position) and with the patient in the upright position.

This allows for accurate evaluation and careful measurements ( dimensionally planning).  I have found that this “technique” allows for the most consistent achievement of patient's goals ( at least in my hands).

This means, of course, that a range of breast implant sizes/profiles must be available in the  operating room to allow for use after the temporary sizers have been removed.