I'm concerned about a hard bulge in lower abdomen after Tummy Tuck. Is it muscle separation or fluid? (Photo)

I am now 14 weeks post op Tummy Tuck with Muscle repair and I have noticed when laying on my back and attempting to do a crunch there is this large bulge that appears from my belly button down and it is about 3 1/2 inches wide. It does not hurt and it is very hard like a muscle would be. There is also no space in the middle of it when I originally thought maybe muscle separation. Standing and laying relaxed there is no sign of a bulge. My surgeon is uncertain Via email. Any idea?

Bulge 14 weeks after tummy tuck

+1
  • If you are too far from your plastic surgeon, s/he needs to refer you to someone near you,
  • Diagnosis of the bulge requires a face-to-face physical examination,
  • It may require an ultrasound study or CT scan as well.
  • Most likely is recurrent diastasis of the muscle repair. Best wishes.

I'm concerned about a hard bulge in lower abdomen after Tummy Tuck. Is it muscle separation or fluid?

+1
Over the internet NO WAY to advise!!! Best to return to your operative surgeon to be examined and maybe a scan to see if fluid collection (which I doubt). Was your surgery out of country??? 

Bulge after tummy tuck

+1
It might be from the muscles being pulled back together in the middle after you are used to them being separated and leaving a space there.  Your surgeon can probably tell under exam.  It is hard to say with a photo alone.  Your surgeon can also rule out a fluid collection or just scar tissue. 

Tiffany McCormack, MD
Reno Plastic Surgeon

LOWER ABDOMINAL BULGE

+1
Fullness in this area after an abdominoplasty could be a few things including residual swelling, thickening in the area of the muscle repair or a localized fluid pocket.  A quick visit with your surgeon could rule out the fluid pocket.  Residual thickening or swelling may well resolve on their own over time.  Go see your surgeon and see what they say.

Terrence Murphy, MD
Englewood Plastic Surgeon