3 years post op of Rhinoplasty, the scar on my left alar crease didn't heal well. Is it a good idea to dermabrade a scar?(photo)

Hi doctors, I had open rhinoplasty 3 years ago, the result is fantastic but the scar on my left alar crease dint heal well, it's like it's still open a tiny bit, ( healed open ) the right side healed well no scar. I contacted my surgeon he said he will dermabrade the scar, but I'm wondering if it's a good idea to dermabrade a scar that healed open or it will make it worse, and if it will leave a demarcation line on my face as its a tiny area. Pls advice me on the best treatment to remove the scar. Thanks

Treatment of an Alar Crease scar

+1
In general, alar reduction, or nostril reduction, incisions heal very well. However, there are times when they can be a little more visible than either the patient or surgeon want. In these cases, I prefer to use laser resurfacing to improve then scar rather than dermabrasion, although both techniques can work well. If the scar has been present for over 1 year, then it is certainly appropriate to discuss resurfacing with a qualified surgeon.

Inland Empire Facial Plastic Surgeon

3 years post op of Rhinoplasty, the scar on my left alar crease didn't heal well. Is it a good idea to dermabrade a scar

+1
I might try 3 sessions of micro needling with PRP infusion. Cost $1,500. But always follow your surgeon's options... 

Dermabrasion for rhinoplasty scars

+1
Dermabrasion is one of my favorite tools for treatment of scars from surgery that have not healed as well as we intended them to.  Sometimes, the body does things to scars as it heals that are not desirable.  We can't change our genetics but sometimes there is opportunity to modify and improve a scar after the face.  

Dermabrasion is an art and takes skill.  Be sure to see a surgeon who is experienced at it.

Reza Momeni, MD
Summit Plastic Surgeon

Scar on ala after rhinoplasty

+1
Dear Kika85,

• Dermabarasion is a relatively safe procedure when performed properly
  • It is commonly used in scar revision cases in all areas of the face

Best regards,
Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD

3 years post op of Rhinoplasty, the scar on my left alar crease didn't heal well. Is it a good idea to dermabrade a scar?

+1
       You need to be examined to determine what may be the best alternative.