Lifetime of Silicone Implants?

I had 225 cc silicones placed over the muscle 30 years ago. They ruptured 2 years ago and I had them removed a few months ago. They were great implants, I loved them, no complications until recently. I'm wondering about the lifetime of the new gel implants and the lifetime benefits/risks of placement? After mine were removed I had full anchor lift and BA with larger implants placed subpectoral. No complications in regard to healing, just not a pleasing aesthetic result. So, will they last?

Doctor Costanzo - Thousand Oaks, California Longevity of Silicone Implants

+1

I have not see a rupture since the full unrestricted release of silicone implants in 2006.  I had two patients last year who I replaced their silicone implants for newer ones.  Both patients implants were intact, one had them in 27 years, while the other had them for 35 years.

Longevity is what you will gain by picking Silicone over Saline, which I have seen last over 22 years.

Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Life expectancy of a silicone gel implant

+1

The reported rupture rate of the new silicone gel implants is 1.1% over the first 10 years.  No implant is designed to last forever but all plastic surgeons have patients who have had implants in for a long period of time without  problems  40+ years or more.  

Lifetime of breast implants

+1

you should contact the company of your implants

gel implants may weaken after 10-15 years and you should consider an MRI at least at 10 years.

i wouldn't replace them unless a leak is shown

Lifetime of Silicone Implants

+1

Current estimated leak rate is a bit under  1% per year for the first 10 years. The current generation of gel hasn't been around long enough to have data that extends further out. The current warrantees go 5 or 10 years, depending on whether you or your surgeon chose the extended warrantee. 

Thanks and best wishes.

Breast Implant Lifetime

+1

The average lifetime for the new silicone implants is approximately 15 years.  These implants are safer than your previous ones because the gel is cohesive.  This means if it does ever rupture the gel will not leak throughout the pocket, it will still keep the same shape because the consistancy is similar to pizza dough.  I hope this helps you.

Kindest regards,

Neil J. Zemmel

Web reference: https://www.richmondplasticsurgery.com

Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants

+1

It is hard to predict how long breast implants will last for a given individual.  But I will say they usually do not last a lifetime and often patients require at least one additional operation in their lifetime.

Implant life

+1

Implants are like anything else;  they will eventually fail.  The newer implants your recieved are better than the ones that lasted 30 years for you.  You probably know the signs of implant rupture since you experienced it first hand.  Only an MRI will tell for sure.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Life of silicone gel implants

+1

The leak of any implant, saline or silicone gel depends on the integrity of the outside envelope. Current data suggests that implants will have a leak rate of 8.2% at ten years. The life of an implant will be influence by texturing which can decrease the lifespan. It is amazing that you old implants lasted 30 years as the envelope was thinner and more friable. Remember the FDA recommends MRI studies starting at three years so will they last? Time will tell.

Web reference: http://www.peterejohnsonmd.com