I Have an Autoimmune Disease Nervous to Get a BA?

I have my BA scheduled for Oct. 15th but I am getting VERY nervous. I have hashimoto's thyroiditis & I am worried getting my BA done would A. Make my thyroid go bad again (my levels have been stabilized for 1 1/2 years & I finally lost the 15lbs gained from it & have kept that off over a year. It took a long time to get my levels right & to feel good again) B. I'm afraid getting the BA could cause another auto immune disease. Am I just overly worried? I would feel awful if I got sick from it.

Silicone and Autoimmune Disease

+2

Thank you for your question. It is understandable that you would be concerned about the connection between breast augmentation with silicone and the development of autoimmune disease. I can assure you that there have been significant studies that have been done since the "silicone scare" that occurred in the 90's. These studies looked at large population samples which matched the patients for age and separated them into women with silicone breast augmentation and the control group with no implants. They then looked at the incidence of disease in both of these groups. What they found is that  autoimmune disease and any other pathology occurred at the same frequency between the 2 groups.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

Autoimmune Disease and Breast augmentation

+2

During the silicone gel scare in the 1990'ies there was concern of a causative relationship between gel implants and various autoimmune and rheumatologic illnesses. There were extensively investigated in studies supervised by the Food and Drug Administration, and no such correlations were present. These illnesses were no more common in women with gel implants that they were in aged matched women who had no such surgery.

The physician managing your thyroiditis would be your best source of recommendation about, for example, the risk of anesthesia and surgery in general in terms of thyroid function. Breast implants should not harbor any particular additional risk.

Thanks for your question, and best wishes.

Autoimmune disease and breast implants

+1

All the science so far indicates no,relationship,between Impants and autoimmune disease. You should not expect any problems related to your thyroid, but if you are unable to get over the uncertainty, it is probably best not to have the surgery.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Autoimmune Disease and Breast Augmentation

+1

Your concerns are totally understandable. There were many studies done by the FDA years ago to disprove that implants have any association with causing auto-immune diseases. If you have been stable to this point on medication and your Endocrineologist has cleared you for surgery you should be just fine.

Richard J. Brown, MD

+1

Since the early 1990's, the question regarding an association between breast augmentation with silicone gel implants and the development of autoimmune dieases has been extensively studied. The answer is NO. It is always possible for a person to develop an autoimmune diease, but there is no higher risk with or without implants.

As far as the risk of your Hashimotos flaring from the surgical stress, I would discuss this with your endocrinologist/ rheumatologist. Best of luck.

Lawrence Iteld, MD

Breast augmentation and autoimmune history

+1

Thank you for your question.  There is no evidence to suggest that you may be at increased risk for problems should you opt for breast augmentation with either saline or silicone gel implants.   Studies have confirmed that implants are safe.   They do not increase your risk of any health problems and there is no evidence that would suggest that implants would increase your risk of a thyroid flare-up.  Please make sure your plastic surgeon is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.  I'm sure you'll love your results!

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS