Could I Go Bigger?

I am scheduled for my BA next friday and am going to my pre-op tomorrow and am wodering if I am chosing the right size. I measure 12-12.5 in diameter and 6 in radius, I am 5'7" and 125lbs. My doctor said he won't go bigger that 350cc silicone mod+ smooth implants. I am a small A right now and am hoping to be a full C or small D after surgery. Could I go bigger? Will this give me the results I am looking for? Any advice is appreciated

Could I Go Bigger?

+2

Nothing approaches the usefulness of an in-person examination in determining the appropriate implant size. Without at least a photo it is really difficult to give you a useful answer to the question you ask. 

The breast width is only one factor we use, and it is an important one. At 12.5 cm, the largest moderate plus would be 350 cc. However, a high profile implant could be as large as 425cc. What I can't tell you is whether other factors would make that volume too much for your tissues. 

There are no fixed definitions of cup size. Another discussion about your goals with your surgeon is in order.

Thanks, and best wishes.

Implant Selection Process

+1

In order to make an accurate size recommendation, I would need to assess your chest wall and breast mound measurements and characteristics.  Unfortunately, there is not a general rule of thumb or objective criteria to implant selection.
Your plastic surgeon will perform several measurements of your chest wall and breast anatomy and determine a range of implants that both fit your chest wall and reach your desired goals.
The next step is to try on this range of implants in the office with your doctor.   The key to this success is showing your surgeon the body proportion you desire with a bra sizer and allowing your surgeon to guide you to the right implant.   It will be much easier to communicate in implant cc's than cup size when determining the appropriate implant for you.
I wish you a safe recovery and fantastic result.
Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

Cup size and Implant volume

+1

Unfortunately, you have not given your bra size, just your cup size.  If you are size 32 or 34 then each 100 cc of implant will correspond to 1 cup size change.  A 350 cc implant will take you to a large D.  If you are size 36 or 38 then each 200 cc of implant will correspond to 1 cup size change.  A 350 cc implant will take you to a C.  However, the cup size is not the only factor determining beautiful breasts.  Often, patients will benefit from a lift done at the same time.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Bigger Is Better?

+1

It is difficult to render an opinion without the aid of pictures. The topic of picking the optimal implant for a patient undergoing a breast augmentation has been written and discussed frequently. It is actually a very involved decision which takes into account numerous factors such as patient height, chest width, breast width, lower body contour, distance of inframammary fold from inferior edge of the areola, and other patient-specific tissue properties just to name a few. While a picture would be useful, make no mistake, an in-person exam is the only way to ascertain with any certainty which implant would be best for you.

My advise would be to re-consult with your plastic surgeon so that you can further discuss your goals and any other concerns that you may have not discussed with your surgeon at the last encounter. Good luck.

Pedro M. Soler, Jr., MD

Implant choice

+1

Without an exam it is very difficult to tell you whether your anatomy will accept a larger implant.  An in person evlauation is key.

Implant size

+1

If you go with 350 cc's, you will probably be a mid to full C cup. If you want to be more in the rangefinder large C to small D, I would suggest about 400 to 425 cc's.  Ask your surgeon to discuss this with you again. Also ,it might be helpful to show pictures from the Internet as a way to better communicate what size you want.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

How Big Can I Go

+1

Base diameter is only one aspect to consider when choosing the right size.  Others include skin tightness, amount of breast tissue and profile of implant. 

If you want to be a D cup, you will most likely need a high profile implant and as much as a 450cc.  Perhaps even larger.

Try the sizers on in a tight sports bra for the best visual on how you will look afterwards.

Martin O'Toole, MD

350 ml implants would likely be in the C or small C range

+1

Cup size is a little arbitrary but just from your height and desired change in cup size I would assume that you would be in the 400-450 range for implants size.  If this size implant becomes too big for your breast width you could entertain the same volume in a high profile implant which has a narrower base and more projection.  There is some limitation of how big of an implant can be placed when the soft tissue envelope is very tight but these limitations are usually further up the volume range in my humble opinion.  The before and after photo link below is from one of my patients that received 450 ml silicone implants.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

What size breast implants are best for me?

+1

You share with many women an appropriate degree of concern and anxiety about size before breast augmentation.  My perspective, shared with many plastic surgeons, is that your decision about size should not be made in a vacuum.  What this means is that selection of implant size must consider the impact that different sizes will have on other aspects of your result.  Size is only one component in evaluation of your result, and your happiness with the result.  There is also breast shape, symmetry, rippling and/or wrinkling, implant edge visibility, nipple sensation, scar(s), breast texture (should be soft), skin stretching and thinning, etc.  SO, choosing a larger size may sacrifice other features of your result.  On the other hand, maybe you are aware of this and willing to sacrifice (or potentially sacrifice) these other markers of quality and satisfaction with your result.  Maybe your surgeon believes these trade-offs for a larger size are not worthwhile for you.  Each woman has a unique concept of what a beautiful breast is.  There is also your lifestyle and stage of life to consider in size selection.  

To meet your cup size goals, in my opinion, high or ultra-high (full) profile will be needed, but to accommodate these devices, you need sufficient skin envelope compliance.  Also, breast shape is important, and relationship of nipple to inframammary crease. So you see, question simple, but answer very individual.  Meet with your surgeon again to discuss if you are not sure.    

Steve Laverson, MD

What size is right

+1

As others have indicated, it is not possible to give good advice about size based on measurements alone.  An in-person exam and face-to-face discussion will give the best answer.

In general, higher profile implants will allow a larger implant size within any given base daimeter.  It may be worth speaking with other plastic surgeons to figure out your options.  Good luck.

Michael S. Hopkins, MD
Albuquerque Plastic Surgeon