Advice on achieving a nice looking flat abdominal area that might have some lose skin with SmartLipo vs tummy tuck? (photo)

Attached are desired outcome/goal pic & of my concern My surgeon advised that with my rapid weight gain/loss I do have permanent stretch marks and will have some extra skin. Advising he cannot 100% predict what it will look like and basically gave me advice that I am 50/50 on the borderline of tummy tuck vs. SmartLipo. I am honestly torn and just looking to connect with and obtain advise from others pre/post op that have similar goals and post results and/or other medical professionals advice.

Tummy Tuck.............maybe, or should it be Smart Lipo?????

+1
Hi and thanks for your pictures and questions. You may or may not have had your procedure yet, however, IMHO you are not a candidate for Smart Lipo or any other form of lipo. You will be sadly disappointed. Instead, you are great candidate for a male tummy tuck. The amount of excess skin shown cannot be remedied with lipo.

Good luck on your journey.

Abdominoplasty with Mesh Reinforcement

+1
You are an excellent candidate for a new technique called Abdominoplasty with Mesh Reinforcement. The mesh reinforcement increases mechanical strength of the abdominal wall resulting in a more flatter hourglass figure, early satiety, weight loss and maintains the reduced weight. Liposuction only removes fat and would be insufficient in tightening your skin or achieving the flatness you desire.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

TT vs LIpo

+1
Thank you for the pictures.

I suggest for you to have a tummy tuck to correct the skin laxity and to correct the protruded abdomen.

Liposuction alone will not benefit your case alone.

Dr. Campos

Jaime Campos Leon, MD

Smart lipo vs tummy tuck

+1
Given the excess skin in your photos, you will not have a flat stomach with smart lipo alone.  You need a tummy tuck.  Good luck.

Sacha Obaid, MD

Smart Lipo or Tummy Tuck?

+1
If you have skin excess with hanging, all the Smart Lipo in the world will not produce a flat tummy.  A tummy tuck of some kind would be suggested in your situation if you were accepting of the risks and scars.  Find a local plastic surgeon to further explore the possibilities.

Curtis Wong, MD

Smartlipo can make your stretch marks look worse

+1
Thank you for your question.  One thing you need to be aware of his laser assisted liposuction or any liposuction often makes your stretch marks look deeper and wider.  In my experience attempting to tighten skin with laser l liposuction is often disappointing as the best laser liposuction skin tightening results are about 25% of what is achieved with a tummy tuck.

Please consult a board certified plastic surgeon who is experienced in both laser liposuction and tummy tuck procedures for an honest evaluation and opinion.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Abdominal contouring

+1
Thank you for your pictures. I think that you would be an excellent candidate for a liposuction. I don't think that you'll have a lot of loose skin after the liposuction procedure even though you have stretch marks.

Earl Stephenson, Jr, MD, DDS, FACS

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

SmartLipo?

+1
Tummy tuck is the best solution. Any type of lipo will be a waste of money, and not very "smart"! Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon and member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons. Good luck.

Jeffrey Gusenoff, MD
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Advice on achieving a nice looking flat abdominal area that might have some loose skin with SmartLipo vs tummy tuck?

+1
      You can get to the goal pic with a tummy tuck.  As a plastic surgeon who performs hundreds of liposuction procedures and tummy tucks each year, I understand your concerns about liposuction, and a tummy tuck would be a better choice.   The goal pic is from my website.

Tummy tuck

+1
With the skin excess in the photo, a tummy tuck is likely needed.  This will remove the excess whereas smart or any liposuction will not.

Neal Goldberg, MD
Westchester Plastic Surgeon