Color of Port Wine Stain After Pulsed Dye Laser?

I had my pulsed dye laser last saturday in my portwine stain. It look like a balck eye under my eye is this really the color after the treatment until when this black color will be gone. I hope to hear feedback. Thanks

Dark discoloration of port wine stain after treatment with port wine stain

A port wine stain will become blue and purple after treatment with a pulsed dye laser because it is as though it has been bruised.  It can take 10 days to 2 weeks sometimes for this discoloration to fade.

345 East 37th Street
New York, NY 10016

Yes, this normal and will resolve with time. It does help to massage the area. The pulse dye laser is normally considered the gold standard for treatment of a pot wine stain. Anticipate this change and discoloration will occur with each treatment.  Best,

Gary R Culbertson, MD, FACS

Gary R. Culbertson, MD
Columbia Plastic Surgeon

18 Miller Road
Sumter, SC 29150

Port Wine Stain After Treatment

Hi Angie.  Yes, a port wine birthmark will get very dark maroon after treatment because it is bruised.  Your practitioner should have told you this before treatment and/or showed you photos.  It will typically take 7-10 days to resolve.  Good luck.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

23211 Hawthorne Blvd.
Torrance, CA 90505