Can You Have a Colon Resection and Tummy Tuck at the Same Time?

A Recipe for Disaster -Combining Tummy Tuck and Colon Resection.

+1

The potential complications could be disastrous. I know of no trained ethical plastic surgeon who would suggest having a patient proceed with this combination.

Robert Singer, MD  FACS 

La Jolla, California

La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Combining a colon resection in abdominoplasty is a bad idea.

+1

I can't think of a good reason to combine and intra-abdominal G.I. procedure was an abdominoplasty.. I'm not saying it never should be done but I'm not certain I would participate in the case.

Web reference: http://www.zubowicz.com/subpag,21-atlanta-abdominoplast.htm

Colon surgery and Tummy Tuck at the same time, absolute no no.

+1

By combining colon surgery and tummy tuck you are increasing the odds of a looming disaster. And I would not recommend it.

Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck and colon resection at the same time? Absolutely not!

+1

Though surgically possible, everyone is in agreement here that elective cosmetic surgery within the same operative field, and with the potential for (very nasty) infectious bacteria from the GI tract, is definitely not advised.

Recover from you colon surgery for a minimum of 3 months and then proceed with your elective surgery. Perhaps planning your colon surgery's incision placement to be included within the planned tunny tuck skin removal is a good idea--have your general or colorectal surgeon talk with your plastic surgeon.

Best wishes for a speedy and smooth recovery! Dr. Tholen

Web reference: http://www.mpsmn.com/body-procedures/tummy-tuck

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

+1

It can be done physically but I would not recommend it as the complications could be serious. Just go ahead with the colon resection and several months later a tummy tuck could be done.

Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

Combing Colon Resection and A Tummy Tuck Is Risky

+1

While such a combination of abdominal procedures can be done, it is not a prudent idea due to the increased risk of wound infection. Despite the inconvenience, it is more prudent to separate the two procedures by at least 3 to 6 months. You will not likely find a general surgeon and a plastic surgeon who would be willing to do these two operations together.

Web reference: http://www.eppleyplasticsurgery.com

Combining Colon Surgery and Tummy Tuck

+1

This is not a good idea; it dramatically raises the risk of problems with infection. Go ahead and take care of your colon issues; perhaps your plastic surgeon can coordinate with your general surgeon with regard to the colon incision: it may be able to be placed in a spot that will be removed with the tummy tuck later. Good luck!

Web reference: http://www.concannonplasticsurgery.com/gallery/g_abdom.php

Columbia Plastic Surgeon

Don't Combine Colon and Cosmetic Surgery!

+1

While it may sound enticing to get your tummy tuck at the same time as your colon surgery, this is a terrible idea. Colon surgeries are not "clean" procedures due to the risk of exposure of the inside of the digestive tract. This risks contamination of the large spaces created during an abdominoplasty thereby opening the proverbial "Pandora's Box." Be safe and do the tummy tuck after recovery from the colon surgery is done.

Colon resection and tummy tuck is not a safe combination

+1

Hi mccammon.  Unfortunately colon resections may expose contents of the colon (meaning poop!) to the surgical wound. If this happened, you would be at a very high risk for wound infection.  I suggest you separate the two surgeries by at least 3 months.  Good luck!

Richmond Plastic Surgeon

+1

Sounds like a terrible idea. Wound issues are uncommon after a TT, more common after colon surgery. Opening up a huge surgical field for a contaminated operation (colon surgery) adds unacceptable risk for a huge wound infection problem.

All the best.