Will a Colon Cleanse Effect the Lasting Results of Botox?

I have considered starting a two week colon cleanse but am concerned I may compromise the lasting effects of my botox injections.

The Effect of a Colon Cleanse on Botox Results

+1

A colon cleanse should not affect the performance of Botox.

Botox molecules target sites on nerve fibers that release a chemical transmitter called acetylcholine.

Acetylcholine causes muscles to contract when the chemical transmitter binds to receptors on the muscles.

Essentially, Botox works on nerve fibers. And a colon cleanse should not interfere with this process

Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Colon cleanse and Botox

+1

A colon cleanse should have no effect on the botox that was injected into your face.  They are  at two differnet ends of the spectrum!

Colon cleanse does not have an effect on Botox

+1

Botox acts only locally. You should not expect an effect of an colon cleanse. 

Eine Darmspülung hat keinen Effekt auf die Wirkung von Botox.

Robert Kasten, MD
Mainz Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox and Colon Cleanse

+1

The aesthetic effect of Botox  is local, within the injected facial muscles. A colon cleanse will not disrupt or otherwise affect your aesthetic results from Botox.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox and colon cleanse

+1

Your effects of Botox will not be effected by the colon cleanse treatment. The neurotoxin was injected in the muscles and will wear off locally. It is not metabolized/evacuated by the colon.

Purvisha Patel, MD
Germantown Dermatologist

Colon cleanse may eliminate toxins but not likely to diminish Botox

+1

That is an unusual quesiton. I can see where you may be led to believe that a colon cleanse will purify the toxins from your body but I doubt that it will eliminate the botox or diminish its effects.

Colon cleansing should not affect Botox

+1

The mechanism of Botox's blocking the transmission of nerve to muscle signaling should not be affected by colon cleansing.  Acetylcholine is the neurotransmitter and it is blocked at the nerve muscle junction by Botox which is a competitive inhibitor. It acts as if it were a closed gate. Colon cleansing should not affect Botox's mechanism of action.

Ronald Shelton, MD

It should have no effect

+1

Since the effects of Botox is localized to the muscles where it is injected, there should be no effect from doing a colon cleanse.

I hope my answer was helpful.

Steven E. Rasmussen, MD, FAAD
Austin Dermatologist

No Effect

+1

There is no scientific reason that I can think of in which cleansing the colon would have any effect on the longevity of Botox, unless it is injected directly into the muscularis externa of the colon. I know that it seems that unlimited uses for this drug are finding its way into the medical literature, but I doubt this one ever will.

Incidentally, if you are interested in colonic cleansing you might enjoy reading an excellent book by T. C. Boyle called the Road to Wellville. Colonic cleansing has a long history.

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist