How much would it cost to have a plate removed from my orbital floor? (photo)

I had surgery after I fractured my orbital floor. They put a plate in my face, however the plate is now sticking out. I don't have insurance and I'm very self conscious due to the asymmetry of my face

Orbital floor reconstruction

+1
Hello mattpancrazio, 

THank you for your question. 

Without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of any treatments it is difficult to be comprehensive.

You are correct it appears from your photographs that the orbital floor implant has shifted and is pressing against the skin.

Dependent on the type of implant this can actually pose a risk to extruding or coming through your skin. 

I would seek care from a facial plastic surgeon in your area who can assess the area.  If you are far enough out form your procedure and the floor under the fracture has healed possibly removing it is enough.  However if your fracture was large and bone was missing than the implant should stay and be revised. 

Consider insurance programs such as medicaid if possible in your area to help defray some of the costs.

Good Luck, 
Dr. Shadfar

Indianapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

How much would it cost to have a plate removed from my orbital floor?

+1
You would need to seek a few consultations regarding this. I would typically take someone to the operating room to provide IV sedation prior to a procedure like this. That can cost $1000-1500 before any sort of surgeon fee. Since it sounds like you had a pretty significant eye socket injury you would likely require either repositioning of your implant or trimming of the portion that is sliding back out as opposed to just removing the entire implant. I hope this information is helpful for you.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon