Collagen Vs. Restylane, Which is Best for Lips?

HA fillers vs. Collagen - It's No Contest

+1

HA fillers, in the United Stated sold as Restylane, Perlane and Juvederm have completely replaced Collagen. Allergan, which sells Juvederm and sold Collagen, has stopped production of Collagen. With the introduction of HA fillers, the demand for Collagen evaporated.

HA filler are softer, more compliant and last longer. It's ease of use is about the same as Collagen. Collagen was better for stubborn fine lines at the margins of the lips, but it lasted only 3 months (or less) time. HA's last twice as long, and are better for kissing. Not only do my patients tell me this, but their partners have too.

I have a series of articles on my blog regarding lip enhancement, including fillers and the alterantives. I link to the HA filler page is supplied below.

Walnut Creek Plastic Surgeon

For temporary lip enlargement, hyaluronic acid (HA) fillers are best; just say "No!" to collagen.

+1

I too have abandoned collagen products in my practice, though I used them very sucessfully for years. There is nothing inherently "wrong" with collagen products, especially the newer ones that do not require allergic skin testing. It's just that the HA fillers are better, easier to use, and last longer. For these reasons, most of us have decided to use the HA fillers, though collagen may be appropriate for a lower-cost more-temporary fix.

With any injectable filler, skill and experience of the injector is critical to achieve a natural result. Board-certified plastic surgeons, facial plastic surgeons, and dermatologists who are experienced filler injectors are the ones to see. Nurse injectors supervised by the above doctors may aslo be excellent, if they are similarly experienced.

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Lip augmentation with collagen or restylane?

+1

I favor the more recent hyaluronic acid fillers such as Juvederm or Restylane. Results are excellent and risks are minimal.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Hyaluronic Acid Fillers best for lips

+1

Traditionally, Collagen fillers (such as cosmoplast and cosmoderm) were used for fine lines around the mouth, while Hyaluronic acids were used to plump up the lips.  While collagen does not last as long as Hyaluronic acids, it was ideal for fine lines since it could be injected superficially and less likely to cause bluish bumps when injected into fine lines.  That was how most of us used these fillers-- until collagen fillers were no longer readily available in the US.

We now primarily use Hyaluronic acids to plump up lips.  The newer agents such as Juvederm Ultra last longer than collagen and can even be used by expert injectors into the fine lines around the mouth.  

Which gets me to my second point-- choosing the right injector is far more important than choosing the type of product.  If you choose an experienced dermatologist or plastic surgeon, they will be able to guide you to the best product available.  Their technique will make a huge difference between a good looking lip and a great one!!

Dr. Mann

Margaret Mann, MD
Cleveland Dermatologic Surgeon

Collagen Versus Restylane For Lip Enhancement

+1

I have not carried collagen for over 8 years now. I would definitely recommend Restylane or Juvederm before any collagen products. Collagen simply doesn't last long enough in most patients. In some patients, it has gone away as quickly as a few weeks. Restylane and Juvederm are the most popular fillers for lip enhancement at this time and can last upwards of 9 months in many cases.

John M. Hilinski, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Collagen or Hylan- Kollagen oder Juvederm / Restylane für Lippen

+1

In unserer Praxis bevorzugen wir Juvederm für die Lippenbehandlung, weil die guten Ergebnisse länger anhalten. Außerdem kann das Hyalurongel innerhalb einiger Stunden wieder aufgelöst werden, was unseren Patienten zusätzliche Sicherheit gibt.

In our clinic we prefer Juvederm for treating the lips, because the good results last longer than Collagen. Additionally Juvederm can be dissolved within hours with a hyaluronidase treatment, which gives our patients even more safety.

Robert Kasten, MD
Mainz Dermatologic Surgeon

Hyaluronic fillers are best for lips

+1
Collagen is not used much anymore. The hyaluronic fillers (Juvederm, Restylane) last many months longer than collagen and give a softer feel.

Susan Van Dyke, MD
Paradise Valley Dermatologic Surgeon

Restylane or Juvederm is great for lip augmentation

+1

General filler such as Restylane and Juvederm is preferred for lip enhance because it feels soft and natural. This also will last approximately 6 months or more before a refill is required.  Collagen on the other hand requires an allergy test and it will only last 3-4 months.  Cost is also a factor as Juvederm is usually less expensive. 

David A. F. Ellis, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hyaluronic acid filler ideal for lip augmentation

+1

The old bovine based collagen is not advisable for its use for lip augmentation as I have seen allergic reaction after 2 negative allergy test. Hyaluronic acid filler on the other hand has minimal allergic potential and can be reversed with hyaluronidase.

William Ting, MD
Bay Area Dermatologic Surgeon

Restylane vs. Collagen for lip augmentation

+1

I have not injected Collagen for years.   Restylane and other Hyaluronic Acid fillers are soooooo much better.  They last longer, are really smooth and don't require a skin test.  Back in the Collagen days, I did not like doing fillers at all.  Now it is one of  my favorite procedures because the results are so pleasing.  Most HA fillers now come with lidocaine (a local anesthetic) and injecting the lips is not so painful. 

I really like Prevelle for the lips.  It's so soft and natural.  The downside is that it only lasts about three months.  I have many patients who really like it too and are happy to come in several times a year for Prevelle.  There is usually almost no down time from swelling or bruising.

I have often wondered what has become of the special herd of cows that were used for Collagen.  Steak anyone?

Lisa L. Sowder, MD