Can Collagen Help Reduce the Appearance of Keloids?

I have one large keloid, and I have already had one surgery. Would collagen help reduce it?

Collagen Injections May be Harmful for Keloids

+1

Keloids are an abnormal response to wound healing, leading to enlarged and unusual distributions of collagen.  Generally, treatment relies on some form of serial anti-inflammatory injectable (steroids) followed by excision.  Statistically, 50% of keloids will recur after surgical removal.  Radiation treatment is another option, but generally one I reserve for surgical failures.  Collagen injections will likely be counterproductive in trying to eliminate a keloid.

Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Collagen Does Not Treat Keloids

+1

Collagen injections will not treat keloids and in fact can make them worse. I would suggest speaking with a facial plastic surgeon with some keloid experience to discuss your treatment options.

D.J. Verret, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ear keloid not helped by collagen

+1

keloids are benign overproductions of collagen. The use of collagen as an injection or the use as a cosmeceutical cream is not expected to help, and the former could make it worse. They  are usually treated by surgical excision and cortisone (corticosteroid) injections after the surgery to suppress further collagen production by the wound.

Ronald Shelton, MD