Would Collagen Induction Therapy (Micro-needling) Be Helpful for Thick Lumpy Facelift Scar?

I had a mid-face facelift 3wks ago. The scars at my temporal hairline & are thick & lumpy. Based on my history of wound healing, I am distressed about the probable long-term outcome. I have been instructed to massage the scars for 30min daily to break up the collagen structure & stimulate collagen & elastin production. The mechanism of action of Collagen Induction Therapy, CIT, (micro-needling) is described similarly. Could CIT be helpful during this active phase of my scar healing?

Thick and lumpy scar 3 weeks after mid Face Lift

+1

IMHO, the least invasive you are at this point in the healing phase the better.  Ask the plastic and cosmetic surgeon that did your Face Lift if you could try topical scar ointments like scar fade or lose dose topical steroid cream? 

+1

Usually not helpful but if you understand the risks of increasing the scar by this option than you can try it. I doubt it will help. 

Scar revision

+1

You are still early in the healing phase so the scar is still malleable. If it is already starting to become an unfavorable scar you need to get on it right away to prevent it from becoming a major problem. This is something your surgeon needs to get on top of right away. My personal opinion is microneedling will not help because it will stimulate collagen production and the problem is as you describe it over production of collagen.

The best bets in such cases are scar injections, medicated tape, scar massage (by hand or endermology) and pressure. Some doctors like silicone sheeting but my experience with it is underwhelming.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Thick and lumpy facelift scars

+1

A thick and lumpy scar after facelift usually indicates a hypertrophic or over healed scar which may be related to your skin type but can be influenced by tension in the closure. Needling will not help the situation which is overproducing Collagen. Scar massage until fully healed, possibly some steroid if the scar is particularly thick, and later revision under less tension often does the trick.

peterejohnsonmd

Percutaneous Collagen Induction for Poor Facelift Scaring

+1

We like Collagen Induction Therapy best for depressed (atrophic) scars.

You are describing rather thickened and wide scars. If you have hypertrophic scaring, localized steroid injections may be helpful in addition to apply silicone gel. If the scars are still unacceptable after treatment and waiting, revisional facelift with excision of the scars followed by meticulous closure is the best treatment.

Frank P. Fechner, MD
Worcester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Micro needling for scars.

+1

This will probably not be helpful if the scars are wide. This is corrected by excising the scar and closing it withuot tension.