Can a Collagen Drink Mix Improve Skin?

Can a collagen supplement actually reduce signs of aging? I came across Dr. Venessa's Collagen drink mix, and it just seems too good to be true.

Here are a few of the claims on the website:

• Boosts natural collagen.
  • Promotes cell renewal, for firmer, younger looking skin.

• Reduces fine lines and wrinkles.
  • Improves skin elasticity to restore a youthful appearance.

• Improves damaged skin: acne, dermatitis, psoriasis.
  • Promotes circulation to improve varicose veins and cellulite.

As skin specialists I'm hoping you can shine some light on to the possibility of this working?

-Makenzie, RealSelf.com blog

Will Drinking a Collagen Drink Improve my skin? -

+4

This IS a scam. Collagen is just another protein chain which when eaten is digested by the stomach acids and the upper small bowel into its particular amino acid subunits. As long as the source of protein is high in amino acids (instead of fat etc), any one source of eaten protein is not better than another.

Don't waste your money.

Dr. Peter A Aldea

Drinking Your Way to Better Skin?

+3

Collagen is a type of protein that will be broken down into amino acids and digested by the body. Proper nutrition is helpful to have healthy skin. The best drink for your skin is actually water, making sure you remain hydrated properly. If you are not getting enough protein in your diet, milk is an excellent source. Still, the best way to keep healthy skin is sunscreen and moisture lotion use daily and avoiding tobacco products.

Temp Patterson, MD
Burley Facial Plastic Surgeon

In a healthy individual collagen drinks shouldn't help the skin

+1

If one is vitamin or nutrient-deficient, then taking supplements can help, but if one has the normal levels of essentials then the replacement won't usually make things better.  As an example, protein deficiency can cause collagen depletion and this can be a very bad problem for the skin. Taking protein or collagen could then help.  Vitamin C deficiency can ruin our collagen and taking this supplement can help correct scuvy, a disease that can affect well-appearing young Americans as I have published a case report many years ago. Taking vitamin C can help this condition. If you are without skin problems via a nutritional deficiency, I doubt taking a collagen drink will make your skin more youthful or appear different.

Ronald Shelton, MD