I when I woke up this morning I had horrible body aches and a temp of 100.8. I immediately thought I have the flu. I went to see dr. was put on antibiotics in case I have a bacterial infection. Flu was neg. Right now I have minor sinus pressure but no stuffiness, not body aches. I feel like I'm getting better, but wondering if I should continue with my surgery as planned or reschedule. I have no medical history of any kind. Fit as a fiddle. Just NERVOUS!
Need to Postpone a Tummy Tuck Because of Sinus Infection/cold?
Doctor Answers (7)
Postponing elective surgery for a cold
It is wise to postpone elective surgery if the patient comes down with a cold, particularly if they have a fever or a cough.
Why add risk to the procedure>\?
Because by its nature cosmetic surgery is not necessary surgery, I would ALWAYS recommend that a procedure be deferred until the circumstances can be optimized.
Talk this over with your surgeon.
Web reference: http://www.DrArmandoSoto.com
Postponing surgery of illness is very important. Plastic surgery is elective and you should maximize your chances for an uneventful recovery. Operating when you are sick increases your chances of anesthesia-related complications and chances for a post-operative infection. There is not need to add these risks to your surgery. Good luck.
Web reference: http://www.ShaferPlasticSurgery.com
You might also like...
Active infection facing elective surgery
If you were my patient, your surgery would be postponed for safety reasons. You should always apprise your surgeon of changes in your health. Of course you wnat your surgery, but you want to be safe.
Sick for surgery
You should see your surgeon asap and have them check you out. For elective surgery, there is no reason to take any increased risks by having it done when you have a cold or sinus infection. Your risk of wound infection increases and the anesthesia is less safe also. Be conservative with this.
Web reference: http://www.randcosmeticsugery.com
Postpone a tummy tuck
You DID NOT state the surgery date. If you are within a few days to a week than reshedule your operation - better to be safe.
From MIAMI Dr. B
You should discuss it with your physician, both primary and plastic the day before surgery. It also depends on anesthesia type, length of surgery, other medical issues.
These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.
You might also like...
Ask a Doctor
Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.