Could Cold Cause Nose to Swell More, 2mo Post Op?

its been 2mo since nose surgery(reduced bump & reshaped nostrils w/ear cartlidge) i recently got a bad cold/congestion/for about 4xdays now. could this cold cause my nose to look more swollen than usual?(the swelling is mostly in the tip area) or is it possible that the nose tip will stay looking this way? how can you tell if the tip will start to get a natural look or if this could be the final result?(tip/nostril rim still feels hard and numb, does this mean area is still swollen?

Nose swelling after surgery

+2

Remember that often the tip of the nose is the last place that swelling resolves.  It's true that irritation from a cold can exacerbate this situation but this too will improve and I would not be concerned... I hope you feel better and I think you will likely still be very happy with your surgery.

Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Expected recovery following a rhinoplasty

+2

After a rhinoplasty the nose and internal nasal tissues will be more sensitive than usual.  Over the next several months this will settle down. 

Cold and nasal swelling

+2

Yes, a cold can cause the nasal tip to swell more after rhinoplasty. Be patient it shoudl get better with time.

Having a Cold Affecting Swelling after Rhinoplasty

+2

The tip of the nose could appear more swollen or irritated with a cold.  The hardness at the tip is normal early in healing.  Swelling of the tip will take a year or more to resolve.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Rhinoplasty Recovery and Swelling

+2

Dear Monkeys16,

Since you are only two months post rhinoplasty you will still have some considerable swelling and this will be more apparent in the tip area. The tip is the last place for the swelling to fully dissipate. A cold could cause some extra swelling especially if you are blowing your nose or wiping it a lot. I would not be concerned this soon after surgery regarding your swelling and I would suggest that you see your surgeon for frequent visits to ensure peace of mind and discuss where you are in the recovery process. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Can a cold cause the nose to swell more?

+1

In general, you will still be experiencing swelling 2 months after rhinoplasty, and this is regardless of whether or not you have a cold. Swelling will be 70% resolved after the first 3 months, and the remainder goes down over time. The final result may not be evident for 18-24 months following surgery. The tip is usually the last to come around, and will still be noticeably swollen after 2 months. A cold may cause some additional swelling. I would recommend waiting a bit and seeing how you heal. In the meantime, your surgeon will be able to answer any questions you have. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Paul S. Nassif, MD