Cohesive Implants Pros and Cons?

The clinic where I am considering having a BA (along with TT) uses cohesive implants. I know this is currently done in trials in the States but I just wanted to know if there were "cons" other than the non leakage issue. Will I still be able to get as small as I want? I'm currently a 34b and don't want to go much larger, I just want to fill them out a bit after having kids and breastfeeding. What are the pros?

The cons for cohesive implants

+2

These are the disadvantages that should be weighed against the advantages

• They feel firmer, some think less natural.
  • They require a larger incision to insert, and fewer choices of incision in some settings.
  • The shaped implants may look different if not precisely inserted.
  • The shaped implants may look different if they rotate after surgery for any reason.

The one company that has these in general release is new in the US, though they have a long track record internationally. 

Best wishes

Cohesive Gel Breast Implants

+2

HighlyCohesive gel Breast Implants are availble in the U.S. Now through Cientra company. They come as round and shaped implants. Also the round implants come astextured implants and smooth surface implants. The Shaped implants come in two different heights and two different projections as textured implants.

The silicone is more cohesive therefore if punncured the silicone does not leak as easy.

They do feel a little more form. The incision may be a little more longer than non-cohesive implants. The Shaped implants are great for filling the upper pole of the breast aswell , if needed. They require extreme care in pisitioning them and centralizing them accurately. Must have good experience inserting these shaped implants ans choosing the righ height and projection to the specific needs of the patient and their desired final breast shape. Theoritically the shaped implant can rotate and thus deforming the shape of the breast, and may require surgery to correct.

Cohesive Silicone Gel Breast Implants

+1

The FDA approved breast implants are cohesive silicone gel - do you know that the implants your surgeon is planning on using is in clinical trials?

In general, breast implants come in different sizes so that your goals can be taken into account during surgery.  I recommend that you discuss your goals with your surgeon.

In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.

I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the press implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible.

Best Wishes

Using cohesive gel breast implants in Los Angeles

+1

Most implants used for breast augmentation are now silicone cohesive gel implants, as they decrease the risk of complications if they ever rupture. Surgery90210

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS