Cohesive Gel Implants Changed to Football Shape

7 years ago I had cohesive gel implants put in. (Under the study) Last year, I noticed a lump the size of a walnut in the left breast. I could tell it was the implant. I had a mammogram done, and the implant had taken on the shape of a football. The right one is still round. What I was feeling was the top of the implant. I had another mammogram done this year, and it's still in the same football shape. Now I have been experiencing some achy type pain in that breast. Has it ruptured?

Doctor Answers (5)

Change in Shape of Breast Implant

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for the question.

There are 2 good ways to determine if a silicone gel implant has ruptured. The first would be an MRI study;  the other way would be to explore the breast and to directly determine if a rupture has occurred.

Given that your breast implant  has changed shape  there is more than one indication for you to undergo revisionary surgery.  Therefore, an MRI study will be  a waste of time and resources.

Consultation with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon would be in your best interest.

I hope this helps.

Round implant looks like a football

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

When a round implant folds it can take on the appearance of a football shape. This may happen as a result of a capsular contracture. I would reivew your situation with your plastic surgeon in regards to the possibility of rupture.

Otto Joseph Placik, MD
Chicago Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 51 reviews

Change in Implant Shape

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It sounds like that your implant may be ruptured. The best way to determine definitively whether your implant is ruptured would be to get a MRI.  Visit with your plastic surgeon to get an exam and a MRI.  If it is ruptured then replacement would be warranted.

Dr. ES

Misshapen breast after breast implant and capsular contracture

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

There is no way to know if it is ruptured unless you take it out and look at it. I am not sure if any radiologic studies could diagnose it if it is present because the classic deflation signs like linguini would not present on the MRI of a ruptured cohesive implant. The change in shape is most likely due to the scar tissue formed around the implant squeezing down on it, a capsular contracture. The most common way to treat this is remove the capsule and implant and place a new implant.

Aaron Stone, MD
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon

Shape changes after gel implant augmentation

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Shape changes could be related to capsular contracture, or scar tissue around the implant, squeezing it into a different shape. This could occur with or without a rupture. Pain can occur in severe situations. I would have an exam by your plastic surgeon. Then a diagnosis with treatment plan can be given to you. MRI imaging is the best way to diagnose a rupture. Surgery may be recommended for cosmetic reasons, and a diagnosis can be made intraoperatively with regard to the integrity of the implant. 

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.