CO2 Lasers for Facial Wrinkles and Skin Tightening?

I'm a 40-year-old chinese woman who has sagging skin, nasolabial folds, and marionette lines. Will CO2 Lasers work on these problems and tighten skin as well?

CO2 laser for sagging skin, nasolabial folds & marionette lines

+3

The fractional CO2 laser is a great laser because it allows for treating pigmentation, wrinkles and general sun damage on the face. The laser also causes vaporization of the skin, which will lead to tightening. I am always cautious when patients come in for a consultation and say they want the fractional CO2 exclusively for sagging skin. Although it does help tighten the skin, it works well in patients who just need a little bit of tightening. Patients who have significant sagging of skin will be very disappointed if they do the CO2 exclusively for that purpose. In addition, deep Nasolabial folds and marionette lines are secondary to bone, muscle and fat loss that have occurred over the years. The fractional co2 laser treat the superficial portion of the skin, it does not address the losses that have occurred. Although I do see quite a bit of improvement in the marionette lines after a fractional co2 treatment, the result int he Nasolabial fold is not as great. I would highly recommend a combination treatment of fractional co2 and fillers.

Santa Monica Dermatologic Surgeon

Fractional CO2 laser treatment will help a little

+2

CO2 lasers can give dramatic results with skin tightening and reduction of facial lines. The problem is the more aggressive treatments are also associated with permanent lightening of the skin. This is particularly significant in olive colored skin individuals.

A safer option would be to do a fractional CO2 laser treatment(s), which has less skin lightening. I would ask for a test patch first to see how your skin responds.

Fillers are another great option alone or in combination with laser. The most effective option, I believe, is a lower face-lift or MACS lift.

Robert M. Jensen, MD
Medford Plastic Surgeon

C02 Laser for Asian Skin Tightening

+1
Fractionated C02 can be performed on Asian skin, however, it is really important to go to an experienced specialist with a reputable practice. If you are looking for solely a non-surgical option to tighten skin, C02 laser can help. During the procedure, a high-energy beam of laser light is used to smooth out lines, wrinkles, and scars, remove brown spots and other irregularities. It also stimulates formation of new underlying collagen to continue improvement over time for a skin tightening effect.
However, if skin tightening was one of your main concerns and you wanted it to be done non-surgically, I would likely recommend a combination treatment plan of C02 laser, Ulthera and some injectable Fillers.

Cory Torgerson, MD, PhD, FRCSC
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

C02 laser for Asian skin

+1

C02 laser for Asian skin can  be used, especially if it used as a fractional resurfacing mode.  Erbium laser is typically preferred for Asian skin.  In some instances, a combination of both can help as well. Seek consultation from a laser expert in Asian skin to help discuss the risks and benefits for laser resurfacing for your specific skin.

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facial Skin Tightening

+1
Thank you for your question. I would suggest Ultherapy for facial skin tightening. Ultherapy deposits focused ultrasound energy below the surface of the skin to stimulate the body’s creation of new collagen. As a result, skin will actually begin to lift and tone over time. Collagen is a natural protein that gives skin its youthfulness by keeping it firmed, toned and elastic. Plus, the treatment is completely non-invasive and does not require downtime. I have seen excellent results with the treatment.

Daniel Shapiro, MD

Fractional CO2 laser for wrinkles and sagging skin. Use with facial fillers.

+1

Treatment with Fractional CO2 laser should coincide with facial fillers for the nasolabial folds and neurotoxins for the dynamic wrinkles.  With your particular skin type, I would also recommend a topical skin brightening cream(s) such as Melaquin AM and Melaquin PM to use alongside the lasers. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

CO2 laser for sagging skin and wrinkles

+1

The CO2 laser can give amazing results for sagging skin and deep wrinkles and sundamage; however, at age 40 you may not need fully ablative CO2 with 2 weeks of downtime and significant risk.  I usually save this procedure for very wrinkled, sundamaged persons and those are usually older than 40.  A fractional CO2 laser treatment can give you great results with less down time and risks.

Elizabeth F. Rostan, MD
Charlotte Dermatologist

Fractional CO2 and Dermal Fillers

+1

The Fractional CO2 will help to smooth out wrinkles of the face, and will also help to even out skin tone and improve texture.  However, in order to correct the volume loss that occurs in the nasolabial folds and marionette lines, a dermal fill such as Juvederm is the best option.  When used together you will see even more significant result. I hope this helps you.

Neil J. Zemmel

Neil J. Zemmel, MD, FACS
Midlothian Plastic Surgeon

There are better options than CO2 lasers

+1

While facial resurfacing laser do result in skin tightening, I would not use it as a first choice in marionette or nasolabial folds. I agree that a better option is some type of facial filler - such as temporary dermal fillers or more permanent fat.

D.J. Verret, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lasers not for folds

+1

Co2 lasers are a great treatment for rejuvenating skin. They can provide excellent skin tightening, smoothing and evening of pigment. They will not eliminate nasolabial folds or deep marionette lines. One other consideration if you are considering laser treatments, is that you need to be careful because of your skin type. Patients with more natural pigment in their skin have a high risk of postinflammatory hyperpigmentation. Nasolabial folds and deep marionette lines are best treated using fillers such as restylane, perlane, juvederm or radiesse. Talk to your physician about these options.

Edgar Franklin Fincher, MD, PhD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon