Had CO2 Fractional Laser and Wasn't Asked About Cold Sores?

Had a Co2 Fractional Laser. Never Asked Me if I Get Cold Sores. Well I Ended Up with Blister All over Face. Will They Scar?

Cold Sores and Facial Lasers

+1

It is common practice to give all perioral laser patients an antiviral such as acyclovir prior to their treatment.  If you were not given an antiviral, it doesn't mean that you will have an outbreak of cold sores but there is an increased risk.  You should notify your physician of the situation.  

CO2 LASER/COLD SORES

+1

IT IS COMMON PROTOCOL TO HAVE PATIENTS START AN ANTIVIRAL MEDICATION AS A PREVENTATIVE SEVERAL DAYS BEFORE LASER SURGERY.  WE GIVE THIS TO PATIENTS TO PREVENT ANY COLD SORE BREAK-OUT, EVEN IF THE PATIENT DOES NOT HAVE A HISTORY OF COLD SORES.

David Alessi, MD