Can using CO2/Erbium-Yag to laser resurface cause hyperpigmentation?

Plastic surgeon I went to recommended CO2/Erbium-Yag to laser resurface only around my mouth area, rather than full face, because I tend to get hyper-pigmentation. I am concerned about possible permanent pigmentation after treatment. Should I avoid having the laser altogether? Should I consider doing the whole face? Can I expect good results doing just around the mouth area? I am Caucasian female in late 60s. Skin tone is medium fair. I tend to tan rather than burn.

Post laser hyperpigmentation

+1
You need to have 3-6 weeks of prescription skin care (e.g. Obagi system with tretinoin and 4% hydoquinone) to prepare the skin.
With that preparation, you are unlikely to get hyperpigmentation after laser.
A full face laser would make sense - if you need it done and your skin is not thin.