CND Vs. MOHS For Nodular Basal Cell On Nostril?

I have a .4cm X .3cm nodular basal cell on my nostril. Prior to path report, doctor was recommending MOHS. Now, having received path report, she is confident CND will be effective. I am confused, scared, and a big needlephobic!

Mohs on the nose

+1

The simple answer is that Mohs' offers the highest cure rate (over 99%). That being said, C & D (electrodesiccation) could be performed but the recurrence rate can be significantly higher.  Mohs' is best, C&D is not nearly as good an option for most.

Miami Dermatologic Surgeon

Mohs surgery vs. curretage

+1

Mohs or any excisiono of skin cancer is designed to eliminate the cancer and minimize recurrence. Curretage can lead to a 50% recurrence. I do not suggest this to my patients since a single excision may cure the cancer whereas most people do not want to keep coming back to the dermatologist to have the cancer treated.

Jacob Freiman, MD, FACS
Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon

Mohs vs. Curettage and Electrodesiccation (C and D) for BCC on the Nose

+1

There are many good indications for Mohs micrographic surgery. These include skin cancers with poorly defined clinical margins, skin cancers in locations at higher risk of recurrence or where you would like to preserve the greatest amount of healthy tissue (e.g. nose, eyelids, lips, etc), skin cancers with aggressive histology, recurrent skin cancers, etc. So Mohs would be a good option for a basal cell carcinoma on the nose, but nodular basal cell carcinomas tend to be relatively easily treated and C and D would likely cure this skin cancer. You might discuss the expected cosmetic result in this location... sometimes Mohs and closure heals better than C and D scars. Good luck.

Andrew Kaufman, MD

Basal Cell on the Nose

+1

Basal Cell Carcinoma is the most common skin cancer. Also, the nose is the most common location for skin cancers. If your doctor has been in practice for five years or more, he or she should be able to walk you through the treatment with no problem at all. Make sure to mention the fact that you are "allergic to needles" and special measures can be taken to reduce or eliminate the ouch.

The cure rate for a small nodular basal cell is very high with any surgical method of treatment. Sometimes it just comes down to what your doctor is the most comfortable with.

Also regarding what it will look like afterwards, the nose heals better than any other location. The skin is rich in blood vessels and oil glands, both of which promote rapid and excellent healing.

T. Wayne Day, MD
Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon