Clueless About Botox; Will It Help my Frown Line? (photo)

i've made a tentative appointment to get botox soon for the very deep frown line i've had for quite a few years now (i am 34 yrs old). as you can see, the frown line is evident when my face is in "resting" position. i'm afraid i may not see results from treatment, as both my father and brother have similar frown lines, and my case may be hereditary and therefore untreatable. i admit to excessive frowning over the years but i feel like partially, the line is due to genetics. will botox help?

Botox for Frown Lines

+1

Both Botox and Dysport are great options for improving the appearance of frown lines. Visit an experience, qualified injector for best results.

San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Clueless About Botox; Will It Help my Frown Line?

+1

You can use filler in this area but Botox is typically effective in someone of your young age. It can take 2-3 treatments to see a line like this significantly improve at rest but Botox is frequently all you need. Fillers can be used but would be a second line treatment in my hands for a stubborn line that doesn't respond to Botox. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Lone Tree Facial Plastic Surgeon

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Glabellar frown grooves can be treated temporarily with fillers and botox or permanently with implants.

+1

I always recommend doing a temp filler/botox if appropriate but when a permanent fix such as an implant can save you money and pain of injections every 3 months, then it makes sense to go directly to the implant. Implants are easy to put in and easy to remove and run roughly $1500 each and placed under local in about 5 minutes. Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

+1

Hi. Clueless. Given your picture, it should help. You should really have an in person consult to find out what you should expect. Good luck.

Sam Goldberger, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Best Treatment for Deep Glabellar Frown Line in Young Woman

+1

Hi Clueless,   Botox will help your frown line.  We have found that in our practice a deep glabellar frown line such as yours can many times be treated and not return.  We like to treat the area with either Botox, Dysport, or Xeomin and simultaneously inject a very small amount of hyaluronic acid filler (Restylane, Juvederm, or Belotero) into the furrow.  The combination of having filler in this area while the area is not moving because of the Botox works well beyond what either of those treatments do by themselves.  This area needs to be injected only by an experienced and skilled injecting physician to avoid any complications.  We have not met any "genetics" in this region that we could not correct.  Most importantly, choose your injecting physician most carefully.   Good luck and be well.   Dr. Persky,  Encino, CA

Michael A. Persky, MD

Will Botox help my frown line

+1

Yes and no. First, Botox works on dynamic lines - lines and wrinkles that are formed when you are actively moving muscles. Like you said, you have a line there even in a resting position, which is called a static line. So, Botox will make it so that you can't furrow the brow there and actively make the line deeper. With several treatments it will help to soften the line you have in the resting position, but it may never fully take it away. So please understand that yes, it will help and it will help make it so the line doesn't become deeper and deeper, but that you will need several periodic treatments to further soften the existing line in the resting position, and at some point may want to consider filler there - from a very good, experienced physician only.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Will Botox help my frown line?

+1

Hi there,

Botox will help with your frown line but remember it is not a filler.  Botox is a medicine that is injected into the muscles and used to improve with look of moderate-to-severe frown lines between the brows in people 18 to 65 years of age.  It works by blocking nerve impulses to the injected muscles.  This reduces muscle activity that cause moderate to severe lines to form between the brows.  Since you already have the frown line at rest, the Botox injection will help reduce muscle activity in this area but will not erase the frown lines at rest.  To smooth out the frown line, a filler can be used.

Hope this helps!

Lenore Sikorski, MD
Orange County Dermatologist

Botox will help your frown line

+1

Botox will help but because it took a few years to make the frown line deep, it'll take more than one treatment to treat it.  Generally, after a year or two of Botox (every 3-4 months), you'll see the line soften. If a stubborn line still persists after Botox treatments, I often fill with a filler (this is safe in experienced hands).  Make sure you go to an experienced physician injector, it can make all the difference between a suboptimal result and a full correction.

Elizabeth Kim, MD

Dermal Filler and Dysport for Deep Furrow Line.

+1

Hi Chee.  We always start with Dysport (the competitor to Botox) and then schedule a 2 week checkup to view the results.  There are patients (see link below) where the furrow line is too deep to be effectively treated with Botox or Dysport alone.  In these situations, we do use dermal fillers.  

Dr. Hughes does raise a legitimate concern for injecting dermal fillers between the eyes, but blockage of the blood vessels in this area is very difficult to achieve when the injections are done properly and a consultation can help address those concerns.

In any event, first step for us is Dysport and then see how it looks after.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Frown lines

+1

BOTOX will help with your frown lines.  One visit with a possible follow-up a week or two later should reduce it dramatically.  It is unlikely that fillers would be needed. The BOTOX typically would need to be done every 4 months.  If you get tired of the injections, there is a surgical option available.  Seek out a board-certified Facial Plastic Surgeon.

David Alessi, MD