I Had a Closed Septo/rhinoplasty About 15 Months Ago. My Septum Still Appears to Be a Little Crooked and Tip a Little Droopy?

I am ok with the appearance my only concern is that I still can't breathe @ times through my right nostril. I did consult with an ent who stated my septum is still deviated and he could fix my deviated septum which will help my breathing. If I do decide with going through with fixing my deviated septum will that mess up the result of my rhinoplasty? Also will there be more swelling this time around if I'm just fixing my septum?

Straightening The Septum Will Likely Fix Your Problem

+1

If the deviated septum is indeed causing the obstruction (and is often the culprit), then a septoplasty will fix the problem and can be done without changing the appearance of your nose. Because it is only a septoplasty (without the rhinoplasty component) the recovery should be much easier and shorter than your original surgery. I would make sure you are consulting with a functional suregon (ENT) who also does cosmetic work as well. Good luck.

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision septoplasty and revision rhinoplasty

+1

Septoplasty and rhinoplasty are  two completely different operations. There are multiple reasons  patients  have difficulty breathing out of the nose, such as a deviated septum, valve collapse and vestibular stenosis,  Turbinate hypertrophy, and allergies. Best to start first with medical management to include antihistamines, nasal sprays, decongestants, and if those fail, consideration for the surgical option to improve  the air flow dynamics through the nose can be entertained. Repairing a deviated septum will not have any effect on the external portion of the nose. A revision rhinoplasty with the required to change the shape of the outside of the nose for cosmetic purposes.

Revision septal surgery

+1

Not all breathing issues are related to the anatomic deviation of the septum... but in your case it might.  Be prepared that it may not correct your breathing completely because other things can cause this as well.

Revision Septoplasty after Rhinoplasty

+1

I suggest that you see a surgeon who does both cosmetic work and corrects functional problems.  Doing the septal and possibly turbinate work should not impact the appearance of your nose. Your recovery will be significantly less than the rhinoplasty operation.

Deviated Septum after Rhinoplasty

+1

Thank you for the great question. Yes, it is possible to straighten the septum without affecting the external appearance of the nose.  That said, without actually examining your nose to see which part of the septum is crooked and how much septal cartilage was removed in your first procedure, it is not possible to commit to a specific approach.  If the anterior-most (right at the front) part of the septum is still crooked and blocking the nostril, the most successful repair option is an open rhinoplasty approach.  Best of luck!

Evan Ransom, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and septoplasty

+1

In expert hands, the septum should be able to be corrected without any changes to the outside.  Make sure you go to someone who is board-certified in ENT and Facial Plastics.  In addition, the 15 months since the surgery is enough time for healing and you can do the septum any time you want.  All the best.

David Alessi, MD

Continued nasal obstruction after rhinoplasty

+1

I would strongly caution you to see a facial plastic surgeon who is an expert in both cosmetic and functional rhinoplasty for a second opinion.  Once you have had a rhinoplasty, you may have breathing problems not only related to your crooked septum, but also to your internal and/or external nasal valves.  Most otolaryngologists (ENT's) are not as tuned in to these possibilities.  Just fixing your septal deviation may not be enough to fix your problem.  Good luck!

Minas Constantinides, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon