Closed Rhinoplasty Done 3 Weeks Ago, and One Side of Columella is Extremely Irritated, Red and Bulging? (photo)

I had a closed rhinoplasty done 3 weeks ago, and the collumella (one side of my nose is extremely irritated, red and bulging out. There is no puss inside and my doctor said it is not an infection. He said he does not know what it can be. Please help me what is causing this? Will it ever go away?

Irritated Columella Afer Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi,

The red bulging area shown in the photo could be an irritation to the sutures or a simple skin superficial infection developing.

I recommend to communicate with your surgeon who knows the full details of your surgery but I do not see a harm if you can have a course of antibiotic and an antibacterial skin ointment applied on the area for about 5-7 days.

Thank you for your inquiry.

The best of wishes to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Columella irritation after rhinoplasty

+1

Your columella on left side looks locally inflamed .In such a situation I normally ask my patient to paint Betadine solution using a cotton bud and apply gentamycin eye ointment locally along with  5 day course of antibiotics.Some time reabsorbable sutures ( Vicryl ) can cause this king of reaction and it will normally takes about a week to settle down

Ashok Govila, FRCS, MCh, MS
Dubai Plastic Surgeon

Columellar irritation after rhinoplasty

+1

Your left side of columella is erythematous and slightly swollen.  This can be due to a small skin infection, or some local skin reaction to sutures (closed rhinoplasty incisions are placed close to that area).  I would recommend taking a course of oral antibiotics and to use intranasal Bactroban for a week or so - this problem should resolve with treatment.

Alexander Ovchinsky, MD