I've Had a Closed Rhinoplasty 3 Months Ago, It is Puffy & Numb. Will it Change Much?

I've had a closed rhinoplasty 3 months ago. The tip was reshaped and a dorsal hump was removed. I am not satisfied with the size and width of my nose. My doctor says this is only 60% of the result due to swelling. Also, I dont smell or breath as good as I did before the operation. I want to know how swollen is it by now, how much will it still change? And when can I have a revision rhinoplasty if I am considering one. Thank you in advance.

It is three months after rhinoplasty. It still may be normal for the tip of the nose to be puffy and feel numb.

+2

There is no question that at three months, for some people, the work of Nature is not finally done.  Give it some time.  If the tip is still numb, then, that is a tip off that Nature has not finished the job.  You are an attractive lady now, and I predict it will continue to get better and refine itself with time. 

Regarding the issue of smelling or breathing, if it is not as good as it was before surgery, that calls for reevaluation by your surgeon.  A good examination inside the nose should give some hints as to why you are having these problems.

Finally, if you are considering or wondering about having a revision rhinoplasty, based on what you tell me, and the typical time parameters, it would not be appropriate for at least 6-9, or 12 months, perhaps, after the original procedure.

We have to respect Nature's often slow, but reliable, healing.

Robert Kotler, MD, FACS
Facial Plastic Surgeon
Author, SECRETS OF A BEVERLY HILLS COSMETIC SURGEON

Puffy nose

+2

You have a great result so far and are only just seeing the beginning. Your nose is going to look different in another 3 months and then again in a year. Enjoy the journey and don't stress about revision.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

+2

At 3 months post Rhinoplasty, your nose is not fully healed.  Give it a couple more months and then if it still isn't what you wanted talk with the Rhinoplasty surgeon that did your Rhinoplasty about a revision.  Revision Rhinoplasty can be done at 6 months following the previous one as a general rule. 

Not Satisfied with Rhinoplasty Results at 3 Months

+2

Residual temporary swelling is present in some patients 3 months after rhinoplasty, especially in those with thicker skin. Be patient and share your concerns with your surgeon.

Post-rhinoplasty swelling

+2

At 3 months it is very common to have siginifcant swelling. It will take at least a   year for the swelling to resolve completely.

Revision rhinoplasty

+2

Any rhinoplasty, closed or open approach, will take a year for the swelling to resolve.  This is also dependent on skin type, a thin skinned person will be mostly healed at a year, but a thicker skinned person can see further changes particularly around the tip during the second year after rhinoplasty.  You need to be patient and stay in contact with your surgeon.  Surgeons who do a lot of revision rhinoplasty will normally not operate until a full year after the previous procedure.

Douglas J. Kibblewhite, MD
Vancouver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty 3 months after

+2

It takes about 3-4 months for all the swelling to completely resolve, but by 3 months, you should be starting to see the final shape.  You should wait for almost a year before you have any revision.  Regardless, I would continue speaking with your surgeon so he/she can help support you through the healing process.  If for some reason you decide to see someone else, I'd recommend you seek consultations with a surgeon experienced in revision rhinoplasty.

Dr. Catherine Begovic M.D.

Catherine Huang-Begovic, MD

Numbness after rhinoplasty

+1
In general, almost all noses are numb right after a rhinoplasty. In most cases its the tip that is numb, but this numbness can extend down to the upper lip, and in rare cases some of the teeth. There are nerves that are cut and stretched during a rhinoplasty, and it takes a long time for those nerves to start working again. This is true of an open as well as closed rhinoplasty, although it tends to be more extensive in open rhinoplasty. This could also be more extensive if a septoplasty is performed at the same time. This, along with the swelling, gives you a stiff, plastic type feel, and can give you an odd smile. However, the nerves will start working and again, and your nose stiffness will go away with time. As the nerves grow back, you may feel some tingling, itchiness and on occasion pain. This takes in most cases months, but can take years in rare cases. Extremely rarely, the numbness is permanent, although I have never seen such as case.
Best Wishes,
Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon