Closed Rhinoplasty Possible with Minimum Recovery Time?

I am considering closed rhinoplasty and I only want to do refine the tip with minimum recovery time. Is this something that is possible? By recovery, I mean no visible bruising, I can wait for the final results later, just want to get a good idea of what to expect as far as bruising and noticeable swelling.

Closed rhinoplasty for quickest recovery time

+3

You may have a choice to make:  obtaining your best result (for the rest of your life) vs. saving 4 days of healing time. 

Needless to say, I would suggest you choose Option 1. 

You should have a reasonable recovery with a tip plasty

+2

You would probably do well with a tip plasty to help you achieve your goals of a more narrowed and refined tip. In my experience, an open tip plasty will allow more accurate shaping of the nasal tip.

However, whether you have an open or a closed approach, your recovery should be about the same in terms of bruising if it is not necessary to break the bones of the bridge of your nose.

You will likely need to wear a splint on your nose for about one week. When the splint comes off, your nose should look good, and likely the swelling will be minimal. If you do require a more extensive rhinoplasty with osteotomies (breaking of the bones), then you will have more bruising and a longer recovery.

Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Closed rhinoplasty recovery time cannot be predicted

+2

No one can predict each individuals recovery time. There are many factors involved. On average for the minor operation you desire I would guess the range in recovery to be 5 days to 10 days. But this is only a range. Best of Luck, Merry Merry!

Open or closed Rhinoplasty can be used to change the tip only

+2

Those of us who have been in practice a long time can remember a time when rhinoplasty was essentially a 'closed' procedure, where all refinements were done through the nostril alone.

Open rhinoplasty can allow us to see the tip structure and support more clearly, and to shape the tip and apply grafts if needed with precision. Whether open or closed an excellent result can be at hand, and the recovery for both approaches is very similar, except the sutures to be removed in the open approach after about five to six days as the splint is removed.

The swelling and bruising involved depend on skin type and thickness, and the need for fractures to shape the nose. The bruising rate is about 20% overall. Recovery is six days overall, so with a tip only rhinoplasty you have little to fear.

Best of luck.

Web reference: http://www.peterejohnsonmd.com/rhinoplasty

Minimal Bruising and Swelling for Isolated Tiplasty

+2

Hi Elaine,

Your nasal tip can be refined by using a closed rhinoplasty approach.  About 5 to7 days is the minimal recovery period for tiplasty.  

There will be minimal swelling and bruising for one week.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P 

Tip refinement can be done by the closed technique.

+2

Having done rhinoplasty for more than 30 years I tell my patients that bruising is variable and is usually gone in 1 week when only the tip is done. Your type of nose can be done without doing the open technique. We developed the open technique in the U.S. and I still used the closed technique on noses like yours.

How much bruising you get after rhinoplasty depends on the surgeon

+2

Elaine,

I can tell you from a lot of experience that how much bruising you get does not depend on open or closed but rather on the care your surgeon takes in staying in the right planes of dissection and the care he takes in doing osteotomies (narrowing the nasal bones). If you are truly only looking to do tip work, the osteotomies would not be done and so you should have minimal bruising, if any, no matter whether you have open or closed.

Closed rhinoplasty means less edema and swelling

+1

The nose shown in the picture can certainly be done with a closed rhinoplasty procedure, which means less edema and swelling than the open rhinoplasty procedure. Look for a surgeon who has performed thousands of closed rhinoplasty procedures.

Web reference: http://www.seattlefacial.com

Minimal Recovery after Tip Rhinoplasty

+1

If you limit surgery to your tip, bruising should be minimal, whether the the rhinoplasty is done open or closed. Swelling however will be slightly increased after the open approach. Your decision should not be made on the basis of post-operative swelling but the best result which will last the rest of your life. Without an examination of your nose, I will not estimate your recovery. This information will be provided at the time of a good consultation.

Rhinoplasty for the Tip

+1

Either closed or open you will have swelling and will need time to heal. The question I would be asking here is what is more important to you, a nice result or short recovery time?

I feel, as most surgeons that a closed rhinoplasty is a compromise for work on the tip and if significant tip work is needed to be performed, then an open rhinoplasty is the best approach as more can be done to address the anatomical issues.

Web reference: http://www.feplasticsurgery.com/orange-county-nose-surgery-rhinoplasty-newport-beach.php