Will I See Effects of Bumping Nose After Rhinoplasty?

I had a closed Rhinoplasty exactly seven days ago. Two bumps were shaved down and my nose was straightened without having to break it. My cast came off today and unfortunately, my friend hit me in the nose with her hand pretty hard. The hit hurt but my nose did not bleed. I can't see a major difference in the shape, I might just be over concerned. If this affects the outcome of my nose surgery or cause any new bumps, would I be able to notice it now? Thanks!

You should be able to notice right away, but things could develop later

+1

It really depends on what was done exactly. If you just had the bump shaved off then it is unlikely to affect it that much. Trauma could cause some scar tissue to occur if there is some internal bleeding. But if you didn't notice much after the accident then it will probably be okay.

If there were grafts that were placed it could be dislodged from the trauma but is unlikely. Also, sutures holding grafts in place can break with trauma and lead to irregularities later on in the course of recovery. But in general, if it looks okay right now, it is unlikely to change much if all that was done was taking the bump down.

Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

If it looks okay, don't worry

+1

At this point, if it looks okay, then don't worry about it.  Since your bones are still intact, then you should probably be okay.  If there is any concern, however, then you should see your surgeon for an evaluation.  Good luck.

David Shafer, MD

With friends like that...

+1

Callie,

As you have heard from most respondents, the trauma to your recently fixed nose is not likely to affect the results since your nasal bones were not broken.  Talk to your surgeon about it.  He/she may want to take a look at it, if for nothing else than to reassure you.  Good luck!

Kenneth R. Francis, MD

Your nose should be fine.

+1

If there is no change in the shape of your nose, and if you still like what you see, then you'll likely be fine. I would have been more concerned if the trauma caused a nose bleed or obvious shape-change.

Please consult with your surgeon who would be able to examine you and give you an answer with greater certainty.

Best regards.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Probably not.

+1

Return to your doctor and have him check the nose. Usually minor trauma won't affect the outcome. Your doctor can feel the nose and give you a better answer.

Most likely your rhinoplasty outcome wasn't damaged, but...

+1

Hi,

If your nose does not look different visibly, then the damage was not significant. This is especially true since major tip work was not done from your description.

When lots of fragile tip grafts are in place held by fragile sutures, such acute trauma is more problematic. But for a case like yours, if your nose looks fine then its probably fine.

You probably just caused a tad bit more swelling. But when in doubt, always see your surgeon and let him/her examine you.

Good luck

Shervin Naderi, MD, FACS
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Trauma to nose 1 week after rhinoplasty

+1

The ultimate result of any rhinoplasty, especially an open proceedure, will not be evident for 2-3months. Only your doctor would  be able to detect any derangement by a careful exam so call him. And remember what I tell my patients: "beware of little kids, doors ,and dogs"--and in your case friends.

Barry H. Dolich, MD
Bronx Plastic Surgeon

Too early to tell if your rhinoplasty results are compromised

+1

You probably should be ok, but one has to be very careful after rhinoplasty surgery. It takes 6 weeks for everything to heal with reasonable strength.

If you did not have bleeding then the force probably was not great enough to shift anything. Hopefully you will be ok.

Samson Lee, MD

Rhinoplasty and Friends Bumping Your Nose

+1

Hi Caille,

With friends like that who needs enemies? Be very careful with your new nose for at least the first month; avoid friends who are unable to keep their distance from your nose, especially those that have alcohol in their system.

I have operated on three "Perfect 10 Magazine" models who decided to participate in the Perfect 10 Boxing Matches within the first year of their rhinoplasties (against my advice). They wore head gear and fortunately I did not need to perform revision surgery. By the way, 2 won and 1 lost, all by unanimous decisions.

Most likely all will be okay with your nose. Let your surgeon know about the trauma. Stay out of the boxing ring. I hope that you love your new nose.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Bumping nose after rhinoplasty

+1

Bumping your nose after a Rhinoplasty usually does not cause a problem especially if the nasal bones were not fractured( broken).  But, you have to be careful because significant bumps can cause injuries.