Is Closed Rhinoplasty Best for a Droopy Tip Surgery?

I consulted with doctors who do closed rhinoplasty, and I consulted with ones who do open. Closed seems less risky and more simple for some reason to me, but I am concerned that the results won't be as good. I have a droopy tip that I want to be lessened (same tip, just less droopy) Also, I don't want my nose to be longer from the side. For this procedure, is closed better than open or not?

Open or closed approach?

+1

Whether an open or closed technique is used really depends on the nature of the patient's issues and what will be necessary to obtain the desired result. An open technique is generally used when more invasive work is necessary, and it gives the surgeon a better look inside the nose. An exam would really be necessary to determine the technique that would best suit your needs. I would recommend a consultation with a board certified rhinoplasty specialist. He or she will be able to examine your nose in person and provide you with the best advice. I hope this helps, and good luck to you. 

Rhinoplasty surgery

+1

Dear sourkid13,

• You will live with your nose for the rest of your life and so the goal should be a specific result that you will love
  • In my hands, in someone with an already nice tip, I can do a closed approach
  • If there is a lot of asymmetry between the two sides of the tip, then I favor an open appraoch
  • In the end, you should go with the surgeon you are most comfortable with, the technique does not matter as much

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD

Closed Rhinoplasty Versus Open For Tip Work

+1

In my humble opinion, I think an open rhinoplasty approach has a big advantage over closed rhinoplasty when it comes to reshaping and repositioning the nasal tip. 

John M. Hilinski, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Closed vs open rhinoplasty

+1

Surgeons can perform rhinoplasty through open vs closed techniques. The only difference inthe incision is that with open there is a 1 cm skin incision on the columella.  The exposure allows precise work to be doen especially on the tip. Closed rhinoplasty does not give them same exposure. Interesting most of the "experts" on the lecture circuits use the open approach.

Opoen versus closed rhinoplasty for droopy tip repair

+1

Both open and closed rhinoplasty approaches are safe options when performed by an experienced surgeon. Depending on the situation and surgeon preference one approach may be preferred compared with the other, especially when it comes to treating issues with tip position, droopiness, etc.

I would focus more on your potential surgeon's results rather than solely on the approach used.

You can read more about droopy tip repair at my web reference link below.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Closed vs Open Rhinoplasty

+1

Excellent surgeons use both open and closed procedures for tip rhinoplasty depending on the needs of their patients and their own personal preferences. I advise you to pick the surgeon based on the results you see in patients like you. Pick the surgeon, not the technique.

Closed rhinoplasty is best in the hands of an experienced Nose Surgeon.

+1

With a closed rhinoplasty there is no external scar to show that you had the operation. I have been doing closed rhinoplasties for 30 years and am confident that I can produce the desired changes without a visible, external scar. We plan the final appearance on the computer ahead of time and carry it out in the surgery with no 'give away' scar.

G. Gregory Gallico III, MD

Open vs. closed rhinoplasty for droopy tip

+1

In my opinion, open rhinoplasty is better for tip refinement surgery, as it gives the surgeon better visualization of the tip cartilages. Also, it makes it possible to do precise stitches for sculpting of the tip. 

Ahmed Abdullah, MD
Dubai Plastic Surgeon

+1

That is a great question. You will likely receive different answers depending on the comfort level of the surgeon- ie some surgeons perform most rhinoplasties via an external approach while others prefer the endonasal (closed) approach. Excellent nasal tip refinement can be achieved with either method. I would not consider opening the nose more risky- in fact certain surgical techniques used for tip surgery are only possible with an open approach. I would not base your decision only on the approach- make sure your surgeon is expert at this type of surgery and that you like the results you see in the before and after gallery. Hope that is helpful. 

David Lieberman, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon