Crooked Tip and Longer Profile After Rhinoplasty

I had a closed Rhinoplasty 4 weeks ago to remove a bump and reduce overprojection and length, and narrow the tip. I liked the result when the cast came off (even though the bridge was a bit swollen) but since then, it seems to be getting worse everyday.

The profile (length and sharpness) is no better than before the surgery, and in profile, the nose looks longer and has a bit of a ski-jump because the bridge is so much lower than it was, compared to the tip. The tip of the nose also seems to be pulling to one side so that it now looks more crooked than before.

I am happy with the bridge but am really concerned everything beyond it (mainly the tip and the profile). Is this something that will resolve itself over time? Will it look more like it did the day the cast came off? Or will I likely need a revision to the tip? I know I am supposed to be patient but I'm really worried. Any advice you can give would be appreciated!

Usually takes time for final Rhinoplasty results to show

+2

Rhinoplasty has the reputation of taking a long time to see the final results. Your nose can change over 2 years in fact little by little. However a crooked tip is likely to get worse as scar tissue increases over time. In addition, a ski jump type of appearance usually will not improve over time in my experience.

In fact, it may worsen over time as the swelling goes down. Usually changes after rhinoplasty involve swelling that eventually goes down to reveal more detail under the skin. A bulbous tip and swelling will go down to reveal a more refined tip.

Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Wait and see

+1

Since the rhinoplasty was only performed four weeks ago, it is difficult (and too soon) to determine the final result at this point. As the swelling subsides over the next year, the shape of the nose will become more evident. If a revision needs to be performed, it should be performed one year after the surgery to correct a crooked nose or to revise the tip.

Be patient

+1

While most of my patients who have reduction rhinoplasty notice at least some reduction in size and length at one month, it is important to be patient as rhinoplasty can take a long time to reach its final appearance. It is ialso mportant to work with your surgeon who truly desires for you to have a good result. Give it some time for the swelling to resolve, which can take months, and for the skin to contract, which can take as long as a year. If after a year, you are still unhappy, discuss this frankly with your surgeon. If he or she cannot correct or resolve your concerns, usually the surgeon is happy to help you with a referral to someone who can.

Lane Smith, MD

Be patient, these Rhinoplasty issues will probably resolve with time

+1

I make it a point to tell patients undergoing Rhinoplasty that the swelling and asymmetry that they have after removal of the cast will resolve, but will take 6-12 months. So you can relax and enjoy your new nose as it improves month after month.