2 Closed Reductions in 10 Days for Broken Nose. How Much Pain and Swelling Should Be Expected?

18yo closed reduction of broken nose by Ent 12 hours after break Ent Shifted nose, used tools internally while awake.Cast fell off 5 days later Ent examined on 10th day small bone midway down nose on L side was collapsed onto septum, same day plastic surgeon used 2 tools internally(awake) to move bone back into place then put "internal cast" in nose. much pain pressure and swelling is this expected? Also greatly concerned where nose was concave due to collapsed bone now has a bump. What to do?

Bad Nose Break

+1

Based on your description, it seems that you have been subject to a tough nasal trauma.

It looks like the detached nasal bone fragment was hard to hold in place and the surgeon had to take the required measures to correct the situation.

Of course, the swelling is anticipated and it makes things a little more complex but once it subsides then full and rational  assessment of the results could be made.

As for the nasal bump, a surgeon cannot and should not address it until you achieve a given level of recovery: not before the 6 months period.

I recommend that you be a little more patient and you communicate with your surgeon as you follow his/her post-op instructions religiously.

Thank you for your inquiry and the best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Nasal fracture and close reduction

+1

Often with nasal fractures a closed reduction is the first step to correct the deformity.  Commonly, a refinement needs to be done 6 months or so later to correct bumps, etc..

Swelling after repair broken nose

+1

It will take a few weeks for the swelling to decrease enough so that you can tell what's going on. Sounds like a bad break initially such that the fragment was hard to hold into position. That is why your surgeon had to place additional internal splints/packing. Just follow your instructions and you should be fine.

Ronald Schuster, MD

Closed reduction nasal fracture

+1

It looks like the fragment of the nasal bone got detached and was collapsing.  Now it is pushed out, probably because of the inner packing/ splint. Pressure and swelling is expected, especially with nasal packing. Wait till the packing is removed and swelling is resolved.

Alexander Ovchinsky, MD

+1

Yikes, quite a bit I'd guess.  IMHO, closed nasal reductions have very little chance of accurately lining up the fractured bone and cartilage segments and for that reason, I haven't used them since training at LA County Medical center over 23 years ago.  Allow the nose to heal (typically 3-6 weeks) and assess the shape at that time.  If things are aesthetically shifted, have a proper Rhinoplasty to sort this out.