Closed or Open Rhinoplasty for 17 Year Old?

Hi, I'm a 17 year old Persian girl looking to have a primary rhinoplasty soon. I was wondering whether a closed or open rhinoplasty would be the better option for fixing my nose. I would like to get rid of my bump and receive a straighter, smaller profile without altering the way my nose looks from the front. Your help is appreciated, thanks!

Open versus closed rhinoplasty approach tends to depend on surgeon more than patient

+1

Thank you for the question.  Most plastic surgeons today prefer the open rhinoplasty approach because of the greater control afforded.  If dorsal reduction is all that you want a closed approach is a very good alternative.  If a plastic surgeon does quite a few closed approaches each year, a dorsal hump reduction alone is a good match the closed technique.

Dr. Remus Repta

Rhinoplasty- open or closed appraoch to the nose

+1
  • From the limited photo views, it is already apparent that you have a  big smile and bright eyes- so you you should be cautious with any surgical changes.  At age 17, be sure to have you parents support- in fact its mandatory until you are 18.
  • It would be reasonable to perform a small reduction of the bump from the side view so you have a straighter profile, and I prefer a closed approach for this.  You don't need much in the way of tip work, maybe a touch of projection. Again, I would use a closed approach.  However,  a surgeon who is more comfortable with the open approach- who has a great reputation with results that you like- would also be a good choice.

Michael Suzman, MD

Open vs Closed Rhino

+1

Ms Tallincali,

Thank you for sharing your photos. You have a nasal anatomical deformity of the dorsum of your nose, the bump. The closed approach for this problem is adequate. The surgeon makes incisions inside the opening of the nose (nares) and opens the dorsum of the nose. Using various techniques they  lower the "bump". Most often  they will recommend doing several other procedures to get the nose to be compatible with your facial features. These can also be performed through this closed incision. The difficulty with this approach is that the procedure is basically performed under a blanket or in the dark if you will. If there is little to do to modify your bump it doesn't really mater. However, the open technique allows the surgeon to pull back the blanket and see all the structures that need to be operated clearly  and makes the structures readily available to surgical manipulation. There is generally a little more swelling and it takes a little longer for it to go away using the open technique. However, it is usually a difference of days not months.Otherwise the techniques are essentially the same. Make sure you ask your surgeon what technique he feels most comfortable using. I use the open technique in almost all of my nasal surgery.

You will want to make an appointment to speak with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to get further information. I hope this information has been useful to you.
Jon I Sattler, MD, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, Glendora, California

Jon Sattler, MD
Glendora Plastic Surgeon

Open or closed approach for rhinoplasty

+1

To just address your bridge/profile either an open or closed approach could be used.

I suggest consulting with a few experienced rhinopasty surgeons to discuss your desires further.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Open vs closed

+1

You appear to be a good candidate for the rhinoplasty procedure - whether it is done open or closed is not very important (it can be done both ways).  The most important decision is choosing an experienced surgeon

Sam Naficy, MD