How to Close a Wide Gap Between my Front Teeth

I had Invisalign but I still have a gap between the front teeth and the top & bottom jaws are not closing perfectly. What can I do next? I don't trust the dentist who treated me before.

+1
In some cases the teeth won't close because of the amount of fibrous tissue in between the teeth.  Almost acting as a rubber band, there is as much pressure from the tissue to resist the orthodontic movement as the appliances (Invisalign) or braces use.  Other times, the roots are just too long and all that can be done is tip the teeth toward one another, rather than "bodily" move the teeth together.  And rarely, there is a situation called "ankylosis" where the bone is actually fused to the roots, preventing any tooth movement with orthodontics.  This is rare, but still a possibility. 
If Invisalign isn't doing the trick with you, and you don't trust the dentist, then certainly get another opinion from another dentist or orthodontist.
However, saying all of that, did you know that gaps can easily be closed utilizing porcelain veneers?  This is an area where they really shine.  Strongly suggest speaking with a cosmetic dentist about whether bonding or veneering would do the trick for you.

Laguna Niguel Cosmetic Dentist

Some orthodontic cases ask too much of Invisalign

+1

I have had patients look at before and after photos and feel the results were insufficient, yet their opinion of "not good enough" was asking for absolute perfection.  Sometimes a very small imperfection may remain that braces of ANY sort cannot help.  Some people ask for the impossible.

It is important to know in advance what counts as good enough to you and what Invisalign (or any method) can do.  Sometimes expectations must be limited.

If you feel that your expectations were reasonable and were not met, then a second opinion (that involves an actual exam and not online advice) would be in order.  You may find that what you need to finish the job may be fairly minor.

Lance Timmerman, DMD
Seattle Cosmetic Dentist

Gaps can be closed with invisalign.

+1

The gaps are there because the teeth were not held in place long enough. I hope you are wearing some sort of retainers. The bite can be adjusted so that it feels more even and should always be done after any form of tooth movement. Sadly you should go back to your DDS and voice your concerns so he or she can fix this problem.

Michael J. Thomas, DDS
Los Angeles Cosmetic Dentist

Wide Gaps Between Front Teeth May Not Close with Braces

+1

I am sorry you will not return to your dental provider.  If you feel you can talk at all, go back and tell them your concerns.  Sometimes Invisalign will only do so much and you need conventional braces to finish the job.

There can also be a bone that is keeping your front teeth from closing-You may need to see a Periodontist to look at the bone-If your front teeth won't close any more, you can 'bond' the space closed if there is a tooth discrepancy issue.  A tooth discrepancy can mean that you have more space to fill on the top when the lower is perfect  and vice versa. 

Your bite should fit together.  If you are done with the dentist you saw for your Invisalign, seek out the opinion of an expert-Make sure they are a orthodontist and see what they say.  Good luck!

Wendy S. Spektor, DDS
Bellevue Cosmetic Dentist

Teeth not coming together after Invisalign

+1

The missing ingredient in most situations where goals are not achieved and confidence is lost is lack of COMMUNICATION.  Invisalign does have its limitations. Your jaw may have grown or changed positions. The dentist may have different expectations than you. You should definitely talk to the dentist in a non-confrontational manner to see how the problem can be resolved. Do not hesitate to get another opinion from a highly qualified dentist or orthodontist that has done many comprehensive cases. Best of luck to you.

Mickey Bernstein, DDS
Memphis Cosmetic Dentist

Ask your dentist again

+1

You may need to consult with your treating dentist again.  Some cases, especially canines, have more resistance to major movement.  Your case may just be more difficult than others and your expectations were not met.  Your best option may be to hang in there and take the advice of your dentist.

Only as a last option would seeking another dental professional be a good choice.  If you are to that point, then it's time to seek a trusted dentist and get a comprehensive evaluation. A second opinion can only help and perhaps move you forward in your treatment goals.

Greg Lutke, DDS
Plano Cosmetic Dentist

Return to treating provider first, if results are unsatisfactory.

+1

Hi Forever730!

You first should return to the dentist that provided the treatment for you, if he/she cant resolve the situation, then you could go to another dentist that is willing to assume Invisalign treatment.  You might still be eligible for refinements or corrections depending on when you 'finished' treatment.

Good luck!

Dr. Alper

Steve Alper, DMD
New York Cosmetic Dentist

Still not perfect

+1

First thing is to ask the doctor why your teeth are not the way you think they should be!  If you are not happy with the answer then get yourself to an orthodontist who has a great deal of experience with Invisalign and see what he/she has to say

Robert Waxler, DMD, MS
Saint Louis Orthodontist