How close to my goal weight should I be before a Tummy Tuck? How much weight can be lost from the removal of extra skin? (photo)

I'm a 25 year old mother of 2. I'm currently 138lbs at 5'4. My goal is to get down to 130. I don't want to be too thin, I just want to loose the pooch in my midsection. When would be a good time to consider getting a tummy tuck?

+1
You do not appear to have excess weight and if you do there is very little of it that is in your abdominal area.  In addition, your tummy tuck will not result in a significant amount of weight removed with the skin/fat resection, maybe 1 or 2 lb.  Your belly is an excellent one for a tummy tuck, and in experienced hands you will have an excellent result which you will be very happy with.  However, if you are indeed planning to lose the 8 lb, it is best to do it before your surgery, so long as it is done in a healthy manner with none of crazy crash diets.

Tummy tuck and weight loss

+1
You don't need to lose any more weight before a tummy tuck. You are an excellent candidate as you are and will get a great result.  The amount of skin and fat removed won't weigh as much as you I might think, only a few pounds.  One important factor is to avoid gaining weight after the tummy tuck is done.  It's pretty easy to put weight back on and can be a major cause for disappointment with the long term result.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

TUMMY TUCK...NOT A WEIGHT REDUCTION OPERATION.

+1
The abdominoplasty operation will not significantly change your weight. Based on your photograph, the excised tissue may only be 1-1.5 lbs.  Since you are only looking to loss another 8 lbs, I would consider you a good candidate for surgery at your current weight. 
Best of luck.

Joseph Ku, MD
Riverside Plastic Surgeon

How close to my goal weight should I be before a Tummy Tuck? How much weight can be lost from the removal of extra skin?

+1
There are a variety of surgical procedures or combinations that can produce good results in patients with abdominal laxity, depending on multiple factors including their anatomy and degree of desired improvement: A mini tummy tuck, an umbilical float modified tummy tuck, a full abdominoplasty. Each of these can be performed with or without liposuction. They produce different degrees of improvement.

You are an excellent candidate for a cosmetic improvement of your abdomen and do not need to lose additional weight before the procedure. The weight of the removed tissue from a tummy tuck in a patient with your anatomy would generally be  2-5 pounds. 

If you are planning on become pregnant in the future, you may want to wait until you have completed all of your pregnancies or just have the excess skin removed without any underlying muscle repair. Pregnancy following tummy tuck surgery is possible and is not dangerous, but pregnancy will stretch out the skin and abdominal muscles again, usually undoing the repairs that were achieved with the abdominoplasty. In that case, a secondary tummy tuck to repair recurrent muscle laxity or loose skin may be beneficial.

Following the advice of anyone who would presume to tell you what to do based on two dimensional photos without taking a full medical history, examining you, feeling and assessing your tissue tone, discussing your desired outcome and fully informing you about the pros and cons of each option would not be in your best interest. Find a plastic surgeon that you are comfortable with and one that you trust and listen to his or her advice. The surgeon should be certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS). You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla,California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

TT

+1
Thank you for the pictures.

You look in good shape!

If you're considering loosing more weight, I do suggest to complete your goal and then have the surgery. This way you won't get skin laxity after tummy tuck when you're still going to loose weight.

Dr. Campos

Jaime Campos Leon, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Ideal weight and abdominoplasrty

+1
Thank you.
You appear close to your desired weight.
On average you can expect to loose between 3-5 lbs from the fat/skin excision and liposuction.
In addition 2-5 lbs during the recovery period.
thus you are in the correct range of weight to proceed.

I suggest you seek out a Bd. Cert. Plastic Surgeon experienced
in Abdominoplasty. 

best wishes,

Robert A. Hardesty, MD, FACS
Riverside Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck and weight loss

+1
Hi and thanks for your question. You appear to be close to your ideal weight. If you do not plan on further pregnancies, then you are a good candidate for a tummy tuck. You may also need only a mini or limited tummy tuck with liposuction as most of the skin excess and laxity appears below your belly button. This will shorten the final scar but still result in an excellent aesthetic result but a final determination of the specific type of tummy tuck needs to be made at your consultation. Make sure you see a surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery as a minimum requirement. Good luck!

Richard Chaffoo, MD, FACS

+1
   You would be a fantastic candidate for tummy tuck at this moment.

Los Angeles, CA..

Ideal Candidate for a Tummy Tuck?

+1
Considering that you don't have much excess fat, but have loose abdominal skin secondary to pregnancy, you are an ideal candidate for a tummy tuck. In my opinion, a high tension abdominoplasty which combines an abdominoplasty with liposuction will give you the tight abdomen with curves.

S. Sean Younai, MD, FACS

Good candidate for a tummy tuck

+1
It appears that you would likely be a good candidate for a tummy tuck now. I would recommend consultations with board certified plastic surgeons. This process takes time and you can continue to work in weight loss if you desire although it's not absolutely necessary in your case. Good luck

Gaurav Bharti

Gaurav Bharti, MD
Johnson City Plastic Surgeon