How Close to my Goal Weight Should I Be Prior to Surgery?

I am 5'4 & weigh 170 lbs. I am of a large frame & have a straight figure, I gain & lose weight evenly. Anyway, my goal weight is 130 lbs. Ive already lost 25 lbs & about to start my secound round of hCG this Saturday with the goal of losing a mínimum of 20 lbs, leaving me 20 lbs shy from my goal weight. Im trying to figure out what weight I should be before undergoing plastic surgery. Im interested in the following procedures: Breast Aug & Lift, Tummy Tuck & Lipo & possible Brazilian Butt Lift.

Ideal Weight for Surgery

+3

Although guidelines and recommendations vary among surgeons, I recommend that my patients be within 20 pounds of his or her ideal weight when considering a cosmetic procedure. Being at, or as close as possible to, an ideal weight minimizes the chance that the surgical results will be influenced by a large weight loss or gain. It is important to ensure that the weight loss is sustainable and not just a quick loss for the sake of booking surgery. When consulting with a surgeon, be sure to be up front about your recent weight loss as this will influence the plan of care he or she will develop for you.

Goal weight prior to a mommy makeover

+3

Your goal weight for surgery should be close to your baseline prior to your last pregnancy, with realistic estimations, given increasing age and other factors. Dropping a bunch of pounds on HCG diets might be fraught with future weight gain. A good balance of exercise, heathy diet and lifestyle with a stable weight over several months is the best way to assure stable and good longterm results!

Christopher S. Verbin, MD

Weight loss and cosmetic surgery.

+2

There are several factors to consider prior to undergoing plastic surgery after weight loss. Using highly restrictive calorie diets, minimal carb diets, or other "rapid-weight loss" techniques are effective in the short run. However, many times the weight comes back after 6 months when the restrictive diet is stopped. The goal of weight loss is stability in your weight. For patients of mine that have lost a significant amount of weight, I require a 6 month period of a stable weight and a healthy diet prior to any surgery. Often times patient's nutrition is poor following rapid weight loss and this can adversely affect healing from cosmetic surgery. I will routinely order nutritional panels to identify which patients may or may not have healing difficulties, particularly for body contouring procedures. Cosmetic surgery is an expensive undertaking that can dramatically change the way you look. Being at a healthy weight that you can maintain is critical for long term satisfaction with your cosmetic procedure.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Weight loss and cosmetic surgery

+2

90% of people who diet to lose weight gain it back.The biggest risk to your result is dieting, then having your surgery and gaining weight.If you lose weight after surgery you will not ruin your result, but will probably make it better.However, the best candidate for surgery is someone who is at their ideal weight and maintains it. If this is not possible for you, just make certain you don't gain weight after your surgery. You will ruin your result.

George Weston, MD
Reston Plastic Surgeon

Weight loss: it is best to be within about 20 pounds of the weight that you would like to be.

+2

A small amount of weight change shouldn't make a big difference, but if you plan on losing more than 20 pounds, then I would recommend waiting until your weight is within 20 pounds of your goal weight and stable for 3- 6 months for best results and the most predictable results.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Goal Weight

+2

Assuming no other health factors, you should be within 20 pounds of your target weight prior to the surgery. You will want to be as close as possible to your target weight prior to surgery for optimal results.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Goal weight for mommy makeover

+1

I usually recommend my patients to reach their goal weight and be stable at that weight for at least 3 months prior to proceeding with body contouring procedure.  You don't want to gain weight or lose weight after the surgery.  In regards to your interest in breast aug/lift, tummy tuck/lipo, and possible Brazilian butt lift, I think this is too much surgery for you.  I do not recommend tummy tuck and butt lift being done at the same time.  Also, your surgical and post-surgical complication will increase with longer surgical time.  Please talk with your plastic surgeon to review all your surgical options as well as potential risks and complication of each procedure.

Sugene Kim, MD

Losing weight before cosmetic surgery

+1

Twently pounds is probably just fine to lose after a mommy makeover without altering your results.  I tell my patients anything over 50 pounds should probably be lost before surgery.  Good luck!  Dr. Schreiber...Baltimore Plastic Surgeon

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD, FACS

Ideal weight prior to surgery

+1

I would recommend being closer to 15 pounds of your ideal weight prior to getting plastic surgery.  I also would agree that you want this weight to be realistic for you and one that you can maintain for at least 3-6 months easily.  You will be investing a lot of time and money in doing the aforementioned surgeries so you want to optimize your results by being as close to ideal body weight as possible (within 15 pounds).  Good luck to you!

Milind K. Ambe, MD