Can't Completely Close Eyes After Blepharoplasty?

I had a Blepharoplasty done 4 weeks ago and one of my eye scar seems to be holding it slightly opened when I blink and sleep. I had steroid injections on the scars a few days ago. I have excess skin that folds over the scar even when my eyelid is closed.

My lower lid on the same eye has a dimple from the scar and it seems it is keeping it from lifting properly. What is causing this to happen and will it ever be able to close?

Follow your surgeon's instructions

+2

The problem you are describing can be a result of post-operative swelling and scarring and usually improves with time and massage. Make sure to protect your eyes with lubricant when you sleep.

Occasionally, this problem may be related to too much skin removal. Your surgeons should be able to assess and advise.

Santa Monica Plastic Surgeon

Ectropion after Blepharoplasty not uncommon

+2

A little bit of ectropion following a blepharoplasty isn't uncommon and often times as the swelling resolves, this will improve. I would consider scar massage in someone at your point in recovery -- massaging the scar up and out with some firm pressure. That will often force fluid out of the scar and help the ectropion.

A steroid injection is another way to limit the swelling in the area. With just a couple days behind you since the injection, you really need to give it a couple days or even a week before you start seeing a difference.

Good luck.

Robert Frank, MD
Munster Plastic Surgeon