Which Will Close Big Gaps on Upper Teeth Better, Invisalign or Metal Braces?

For significant gaps between the upper incisors, is the Invisalign system as effective at closing gaps as traditional, metal adult braces?

Invisalign is great for closing gaps on front teeth...

+1

If given the choice between invisalign and traditional braces for closing large gaps in the front teeth area I would choose Invisalign. Its really the best,easiest,adult way to get the perfect smile that you want...

Los Angeles Cosmetic Dentist

Braces vs Invisalign for closing gaps between the front teeth

+1

Without being able to evaluate your bite it is very difficult to say if Invisalign will work as well as braces.  In many cases it may work just as well.  In some cases, depending on the bite and other factors, it may not work as well.  In order to get a good idea about which approach is best for you I suggest visiting an orthodontist who is experienced using both braces and Invisalign.  He/she will be able to recommend the best approach for you.  If you are concerned about esthetics during treatment then Invisalign may be a great choice for you. 

Brian Povolny, DDS, PhD
Seattle Orthodontist

+1

In theory, all types of braces: fixed metal, fixed clear, or removable Invisalign can close gaps equally well.  The orthodontist must determine what type of appliance will work best for your teeth.

In my office, if Invisaline is not the best choice, I use SimpliClear clear braces and clear wires, not metal braces.

Thomas Braun, DMD
Fairfield Orthodontist

Invisalign vs. Metal Braces to close gaps

+1

It’s hard to get specific without seeing your situation first hand.  In general both Invisalign and braces should achieve the same results.  The drawback of Invisalign, is that it will usually take a bit longer to move teeth.  But Invisalign is a more cosmetic option than braces. 

Peter Mann, DDS
Manhattan Cosmetic Dentist

Invisalign is far superior!

+1

Obviously every situation is somewhat different and most importantly the function and appearance of the final result is critiical, but after 13 years of doing Invisalign I believe it is far superior. It is faster, more comfortable, enables you to eat and clean your teeth normally during treatment, it is vastly healthier for your teeth and the final result can be viewed and adjustments made before treatment ever begins. It is truly  21st Century technology.   This being said the skill of the dentist with Invisalign is most  important  and I believe you will get the best result by  choosing a Cosmetic general dentist  who is experienced with your type of case.

A. Vandiveer Strait, DDS
Wilton Cosmetic Dentist

Invisalign for gaps MOST LIKELY just as good as braces

+1

It can probably be done with either system.  If you want a truly invisible approach, then Invisalign is the right choice.  If you don't care about having something more noticeable, then braces can accomplish the same result (sometimes better, see below) but sometimes at a less expensive price point. 

Invisalign does have its limitations however.  I tell anyone who gets Invisalign, they may need braces at the end to perfect things but I do not have any additional charges if that's the case. 

Therefore, both can work but an orthodontist absolutely has more control with braces.  Invisalign is a wonderful tool for people who can't "deal" with the idea of being in braces though. 

Good luck!

Todd Barnett, DMD
Akron Orthodontist