Is a clitoral hood reduction necessary?

I'm getting a labiaplasty (reduction of labia minora) and my doctor recommended a hood reduction cause he said there was too much skin. However, that part doesn't really bother me and have no problems sexually other than my labia getting in the way or bothering me with underwear/pants. Should I get it done since he suggested it?

Clitoral hood reduction and labiaplasty in Los Angeles

+1
Clitoral hood reduction can sometimes be a staged procedure that can be performed later. In some cases, the clitoral hood extends outward to cover the clitoris. 

Raffy Karamanoukian MD FACS
Los Angeles

Web reference: http://surgery90210.com/body/15/labiaplasty.aspx

Clitoral hood resection is not necessary during labioplasty unless you have a good reason to do it

+1

Thank you for your question. A labioplasty can be performed without clitoral hood reduction to reduce the size of the labia minora.

If you do not have a problem with clitoral insensitivity then I would suggest that you do not have a clitoral hood reduction. Scarring after clitoral hood reduction can cause significant problems therefore it is best not to do it unless absolutely necessary.

Web reference: http://drseckel.com/labiaplasty/laser-labiaplasty-to-reduce-large-long-labia-and-lessen-irritation-by-clothing/

Clitoral hood reduction

+1

Clitoral hood reduction can be performed if there is excessive skin around the hood. It is a personal choice. Good luck.

Nothing is necessary unless you want it...

+1

but if you truly have excesses that can be pointed out to you, then you can make a better decision as to whether you would want that procedure or not. It will add scars and costs and you should be highly motivated to have it done and not just because your doctor suggests it. And your doctor should be able to help you appreciate what he is talking about and if not, you should consider getting a second opinion. And you want to make sure you understand what technique is being used in your procedure as well as the pros and cons of each as most of the poor results I see on this website come from trimming too much from the edge (vs the wedge).

Is a clitoral hood reduction necessary?

+1

The clitoral hood is the skin above the labia minora and the skin that overlies the head of the clitoris. The clitoral hood reduction is performed if the patient wants it to remove discomfort, to better expose the clitoris, or to improve the appearance. Many different types of clitoral hood reduction are performed, so you need your doctor to be very specific at to the plan. The type of hood reduction depends on the patients anatomy and desires. I routinely remove the sides of the clitoral hood with a labia minora reduction if there is excess tissue. I perform a central wedge labiaplasty. If the skin overlies the head or glans of the clitoris, that can be reduced. If the patient has a very large, protuberant, long, wide clitoral hood, I also invented a procedure called a clitoropexy with a clitoral hood reduction. With this procedure, I lift up the clitoral hood skin, move the clitoris closer to the pubic bone, thin the tissues under the clitoral hood skin, and then remove a large amount of excess skin. This results in a dramatic decrease in the length, thickness, and protuberance of the clitoral hood, so that the hood is now within the labia majora when the woman stands. Above all, you don't need a clitoral hood reduction unless you want it.

Web reference: http://journals.lww.com/plasreconsurg/Fulltext/2007/07000/Aesthetic_Labia_Minora_Reduction_with_Inferior.66.aspx

Clitoral hood reduction indications

+1

The typical indications for reduction of the clitoral hood (aka hoodectomy) are: 1) to reduce the amount of redundant hood skin covering/concealing the clitoris such that the clitoris is better exposed during sexual activity and thus better stimulated and 2) to harmonize the result when performing a labiaplasty such that the overall appearance is more uniform - this is only necessary when the clitoral hood too is excessive but not necessarily hindering sexual stimulation. Glad to help

Web reference: HTTP://WWW.DRRYANSTANTON.COM

Is a clitoral hood reduction necessary?

+1
Clitoral hood reduction is not neccessary, but if your surgeon suggested it, he/she must have a reason. Often after a labiaplasty, the clitoral hood could look more prominent hanging over the smaller labia. If you are standing, and the top of the labia majora (outer lips) does not come together because of extra tissues in between, then you do have excessive clitoral hooding. Good luck.

Web reference: http://www.bellevueplasticsurgeons.com

Bellevue Plastic Surgeon

Is a clitoral hood reduction necessary?

+1

How you want to look after surgery should be communicated to the surgeon. If you feel that you do not want this procedure, you should communicate this to the surgeon.

Web reference: http://www.hughesplasticsurgery.com/labial-rejuvenation-photo-galleries.php

Is a clitoral hood reduction necessary?

+1

Clitoral hood reduction is not necessary, so you do not need to do this if you choose not to. Your doctor may have suggested it for aesthetic reasons. Sometimes the excess skin surrounding the clitoris will still project further than the labia majora after reduction of the labia minora, and then the patient will notice the excess skin then. I would recommend discussing this with your surgeon to see why he suggested it, if it is not something that you desire to do.

Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Labiaplasty and hood reduction

+1

When assessing patients, I give them options. If the only thing bothering you is the excessive amount of labia minora skin, then that is all you may want to have excised. Many times I do recommend hood reduction but that is your personal decision.